Casa Rossa (2nd Copy)

by Francesca Marciano | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by AnglersRest of Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on 5/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Amazon.com
In Casa Rossa, Roman native Francesca Marciano tells a riveting tale of three generations of women whose separate acts of betrayal set the stage for later destruction. Renée, the grandmother, forsakes her artist husband and her life in rural Puglia at Casa Rossa, to live with a woman. Alba, her daughter, takes a lover and pushes her husband to suicide. Isabella and Alina, Alba's daughters, take extreme measures to keep each other out of their lives, leading to upheaval. Told through the voice of the youngest daughter, Alina, Casa Rossa weaves the selling and closure of the family estate with the family's sordid and unforgettable history. Spanning the 20th century and providing entrée into the not-so-incompatible worlds of Italian cinema and political terrorism, Marciano, author of Rules of the Wild, reveals an authenticity in the way this emotionally warped family comes to terms with its fragmented past. It's a fine, highly entertaining work, laced with lovely writing and emotionally resonant characters

Journal Entry 2 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2005
I accepted a copy of this book via book relay. I loved this book, so I decided to get my own copy to add to my PC for a while.

It had an unusual twist to it. Certainly one of my favourites for 2005.

Journal Entry 3 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, November 03, 2005
Sending off to LindyLouMac as a RABCK.
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 4 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, November 14, 2005
Sunset in Vetralla
Arrived today as a RABCK from AnglersRest which is so kind and much appreciated. Looking forward to reading as the review makes it sound promising and for me it has the added bonus of being set in Italy. Always an attraction!

Journal Entry 5 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, February 10, 2006
Just started reading this today, as it has finally reached the top of MT TBR. Certainly looks like it is going to be a good read and I am already thinking about what should happen to it when I have finished. A bookray maybe, I can think of a few people who might be interested in reading this after me.
Anyway it is a novel......A crumbling farmhouse in Puglia. Casa Rossa was bought by Alina's grandfather and she is now telling the story across the generations as she prepares the house for sale. Set in 1920's to present day in Puglia, Roma, Paris and New York. A story of love and loss,secrets and lies, across the generations. See journal entry 1 for a full resume.

Journal Entry 6 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Devoured this,throughly enjoyable well written story. I am hoping to send it off as a Bookring if I can get enough participants interested?
So far uptake surprisingly slow!
Thanks though to AnglersRest for making me aware of this book, much appreciated.

Journal Entry 7 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 18, 2006
OK I have enough particpants now to get this started on its travels. Room for a few more, in Euope on its way home again if anyone else interested.
I would be most grateful if you would read this and get it sent on its way again within 2/3weeks if possible, Thanks. Hope you all enjoy and I look forward to reading the reviews.
1. Antheras Canada
6. iwanttobeinital UK
7. Maireen Italy
8.Sarina79 Italy
9.LindyLouMac Italy Home again after 14mths travelling

Released 14 yrs ago (2/23/2006 UTC) at Vetralla Post Office in Vetralla to Canada, Bookring-Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Starting out on its travels, hope it arrives home again safely one day! Enjoy Antheras

Journal Entry 9 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 02, 2006
Received today! Can't wait to read this.

Journal Entry 10 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
I wasn't sure what to expect in this book, other than its setting in Italy. I certainly didn't expect such an intense story. So much is packed into this novel - generations of a family, politics, self discovery and a country that plays the role of a character. I fell in love with this book and will have to find a copy for my PC.

Thank you for starting this ring and letting me read this first. I've sent a PM to Valentina1209 for an address.

Journal Entry 11 by valentina1209 from Bethpage, New York USA on Monday, May 01, 2006
Book arrived today. YAY - I love stories about Italian life. Will read and pass along ASAP.

This was an outstanding book. Some of it seemed very familiar to me, as though I might have read it, or an excerpt of it, before. Yet, there were parts of it that were definitely new to me. Regardless, as an Italian-American, I relished in the strong Italian flavors provided by this book. Simply wonderful!

Journal Entry 12 by valentina1209 at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 07, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (5/7/2006 UTC) at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Release #39 in the Keep Them Moving challenge to read and release books received from other bookcrossers.

sending on to the next bookring participant.

Journal Entry 13 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Thank you...Received it safe and sound...But, here is the weird part. This cover is identical to a different book. Check it out. And I thought I was seeing double. I wonder how this could have happened?

Journal Entry 14 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. I was really surprised how much was packed into this small book. I could almost smell olive trees. Thank you for sharing this book.
==========================================================================================
The book is on its way to lpree.

Journal Entry 15 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Saturday, May 27, 2006
This arrived in today's mail. I've got a couple of other rings ahead of this, but will try to get this sent on the in the requested 2-3 weeks. This sounds like such an interesting story, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 16 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, June 29, 2006
I'm sorry it has taken me so long! I had some summer company which threw off my reading a bit.

I finished this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. Most of the time, I felt like I was reading a nonfiction account. I had to keep reminding myself that this was a novel as it reminded me of some similar nonfiction books I've read. I found it interesting to see a little bit of perspective of ww2 from the italian side.

I will get this mailed out in the next few days. Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 17 by winghetku77wing from Nokia, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 24, 2006
24.8. I received the book today, thanks Lpree! Due to my two moves within past 3 months, I have a few other rings to read before this, but I'll try to get into it as soon as possible.

9.11. It took a while before I got the chance to start reading this book and again another while before I managed to finish it. Life came in between :).

I liked the book, a lot. Now that I've finished it, I'm kind of lost what I could say why I liked it so much. In general I like these kind of family stories about several generations - how parents' decisions affect on children, how children see the previous generations and their lives and so on. Italian history aspect in this story was really interesting as well. Many tough subjects were handled in this story and the characters were really interesting and complicated, just like people are in real life.

21.11. Sent to iwanttobeinital. Sorry for the delay, but it was only partly caused by myself.

Journal Entry 18 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Saturday, November 25, 2006
Received this in the post from Heidi in Norway yesterday, started it last night and two thirds of the way through already! Many thanks!

Will post review as soon as I'm finished - that won't be long!

8-))

Journal Entry 19 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Sunday, November 26, 2006
Loved this book! The fact that it was based essentially in Southern Italy (where we will be moving to full-time as soon as practicable made it all the more interesting to me.
It couldnt have arrived at a better time as we recently returned to England from Italy and I really needed an Italy fix!
There was a great bit in chapter 6 (P215) where Alina talks about returning to Rome after her spell in New York...here is the last bit

"And suddenly I saw that, just like everyone else, I had been shaped by the particular geography I had grown up in. In Rome every street ended in a curve, in a twist, in a cross, in a dead end. I saw that I'd grown up inside a labyrinth of amazing surprises. You never knew what was around the corner, you could never see sometimes very far ahead in a straight line. There was no north or south or east or west. Just this constant turning in a circle.
In the grid of Manhattan were predictable numbers and a cross of street, and you always knew exactly where you stood."

The book was very much about twists and turns, and the thing I liked about it the best was that (unlike many, many other books) there wasn't a sense of knowing what was coming next.

Thank you LindyLouMac for including me in this bookring!

I've requested an address from the next on the list so hopefully it will be on its way again very soon 8-))

Journal Entry 20 by Maireen from Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, December 05, 2006
This book arrived safely from iwanttobeinital and after reading the journals on it I'm expecting a good read.

Journal Entry 21 by sarina79 from Bicester, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 25, 2007
Here it is! Hope to read it fast...it seems so interesting! :)

Journal Entry 22 by sarina79 from Bicester, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 24, 2007
A great story, really emotional. Loved the book. Next week it will return home after this long journey! :)

Journal Entry 23 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, April 20, 2007
Arrived home safely today after 14mths of travelling in Canada, U.S.A., Finland, U.K. and Italy. Thankyou everyone for participating in this bookring. I will be bookcrossing it again but not sure yet, how or when.
April 25th: I am passing this title on to a friend who has recently become a Bookcrosser. I hope that she will enjoy and then keep it travelling in the sprit of Bookcrossing.

Released 13 yrs ago (4/27/2007 UTC) at at a meeting in handed personally, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

My friend who has recently joined Bookcrossing has expressed an interest in this title. I would like to see this well travelled book continue to travel so am asking that future readers continue to ray it forward please to readers who will appreciate it. Thankyou.

Journal Entry 25 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Friday, April 27, 2007
Cant wait to read this well travelled book, my dearest wish is that it has many more miles and years of travel to go.

Journal Entry 26 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Sunday, May 13, 2007
Just finished this really good book, you know the kind of book,the kind that you cant put down and its so good that you dont want really want to finish it.Well written with an emotional touch of mystery that surrounds the storyline set in Italy. Hope to find another book written by Francesca Marciano, I liked her style very much.

Journal Entry 27 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Saturday, May 26, 2007
Have released this book today 25th May 07 to a friend who will hopefully join bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 28 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, July 20, 2007
The book was passed on to me by a friend of mine, who also introduced me to bookcrossings. I plan to leave it in a cafe, either in Italy or in England, depending on where I am when I finish reading it.

CAUGHT IN CANINO VITERBO ITALY