Good Grief

by Lolly Winston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ID20080001 on 5/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by ID20080001 on Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Some widows face their loss with denial. Sophie Stanton's reaction is one of pure bafflement. "How can I be a widow?" Sophie asks at the opening of Lolly Winston's sweet debut novel, Good Grief. "I'm only thirty-six. I just got used to the idea of being married." Sophie's young widowhood forces her to do all kinds of crazy things--drive her car through her garage door, for instance. That's on one of the rare occasions when she bothers to get out of bed. The Christmas season especially terrifies her: "I must write a memo to the Minister of Happier Days requesting that the holidays be cancelled this year." But widowhood also forces her to do something very sane. After the death of her computer programmer husband, she reexamines her life as a public relations agent in money-obsessed Silicon Valley. Sophie decides to ease her grief, or at least her loneliness, by moving in with her best friend Ruth in Ashland, Oregon. But it's her difficult relationship with psycho teen punker Crystal, to whom she becomes a Big Sister, that mysteriously brings her at least a few steps out of her grief. Winston allows Sophie life after widowhood: The novel almost indiscernibly turns into a gentle romantic comedy and a quirky portrait of life in an artsy small town. At all stops on her journey from widow to survivor, Sophie is a lively, crabby, delightfully imperfect character.

Journal Entry 2 by ID20080001 on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
I almost put this book down after the first 50 pages. I just was tired of the main character not getting over her grief, which seemed to go on forever. A friend told me to keep going, it would get better and it did. I am delighted with this novel and would love to pass it on to a friend who lost her husband this year. First it goes to another bc pal who has it on her wishlist. I know where she lives and I can pay her a "friendly" visit, if I don't get it back. Rlylv2rd should be very scared!!

Journal Entry 3 by RlyLv2Rd from Viroqua, Wisconsin USA on Monday, July 18, 2005
Thanks pjmom8025...I will most certainly get this back to you!

PS: What did you need with two packages of dill??? He he he...found another one of your receipts!!!

Journal Entry 4 by RlyLv2Rd from Viroqua, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, January 8, 2006
I really liked this book. It seemeed so true to form. When usually a book about dying or dealing with grief waxes and wains morosely with sentiment and weepiness...this one seemed so realistic and down to earth. I loved the main character and her vunerable sometimes, plucky other-times ways.

What a great book to take with me through the wilds of California, Utah, Nevada, Nebraska, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I will get it back to you as soon as I get home. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 5 by RlyLv2Rd at Fat Nat's in New Hope, Minnesota USA on Friday, January 20, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (1/21/2006 UTC) at Fat Nat's in New Hope, Minnesota USA

Taking to the Minneapolis Renegade Meet-Up Saturday morning.

Journal Entry 6 by arugh48187 from Highland Park, Illinois USA on Saturday, January 21, 2006
Caught this one at my girlie gathering this morning. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by arugh48187 from Highland Park, Illinois USA on Sunday, February 26, 2006
I can't say that I loved this book. I agree that the first part of the book was just too slow and to much about grief and bathrobes and Ben and Jerry's and pulling the covers over your head. But once Sophie moves to Oregon and opens her bakery the book picks up quite a bit. As far as characters go, I thought Sophie was a bit too mopey for me, but I thought Crystal was hysterical. All in all, it was just an okay read.

Thanks for sharing! I will hand it back to pjmom8025 whenever I see her next.

Released 15 yrs ago (4/8/2006 UTC) at Int'l House of Pancakes, 2231 Killebrew Drive in Bloomington, Minnesota USA

Taking back to pjmom8025 at our chick-chat meeting.

Journal Entry 9 by ID20080001 on Saturday, April 8, 2006
Got it! I will pass it on. Thanks Arugh!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, April 14, 2006
just caught this book through www.paperbackswap.com

CAUGHT IN GREENWOOD AR USA

Journal Entry 11 by Stepho29 from Greenwood, Arkansas USA on Friday, September 8, 2006
I caught this book through www.paperbackswap.com back in April. I loved this book and can't wait to read Lolly Winston's second book, "Happiness Sold Separately". I'm posting Good Grief back on paperbackswap.com today. I haven't had any luck with the books I've released in my area.