The Bean Trees

by Barbara Kingsolver | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 034911417x Global Overview for this book
Registered by lesezeichen of Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lesezeichen from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, May 29, 2005
One of my favourites so far this year. Heartwarming, sad at times, funny at others, touching and with characters so engaging that I would like to meet them in real life. I am dying to lay my hands on the sequel "Pigs in heaven", hoping that it is just as good.

PC, but available for loans.

Edit 13.06.: I've found "Pigs" in Ireland ;-)))))

Journal Entry 2 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, October 08, 2005
Oh, that's a nice surprise!
I've never read anything by Barbara Kingslover but this book sounds interesting.

Thank you, lesezeichen!

Journal Entry 3 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, October 28, 2005
This book is already on it's way to the next person.

I didn't finish it. Why? Well, I started reading it and it was OK, nothing special but good enough to keep me interested. But it wasn't a can't-put-down book and whenever I did put it down, I nearly forgot about it. So I started to take it with me while commuting. But instead of finishing it, I stopped reading on the train altogether. It wasn't bad, really, but at a point I realised that I wasn't interested in the story at all. So I gave up after about 150 pages.

Journal Entry 4 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, November 01, 2005
And here it is - at its next station..
Haven't read anything by B.Kingsolver as well so I am looking forward to this one...

Luckily I have a bit holidays at the moment so I will have some time to read...

Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 5 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Well, I really liked that one.. it remembered me of Billie Letts' "The Honk and Holler opening soon" or even Fannie Flagg's 'Fried green tomatoes.."...
A good mixture of everything.. people you like and care for... and some 'real' life facts to go with it..

Guess I would be interested in the sequel as well ;-)

It is going to be send to the next reader tomorrow...

Journal Entry 6 by sister-act from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Saturday, November 12, 2005
The book arrived today and I`m looking forward to read it.

Journal Entry 7 by sister-act from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Sunday, January 08, 2006
a beautiful novel, tender and tough. Thanks for snding it.

Journal Entry 8 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Friday, January 13, 2006
book arrived today as part of a bookring. Will be read soon.

Journal Entry 9 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, January 17, 2006
wow this book seems to have collected some more fans. Will read it over the upcoming weekend. It at least looks like a story that might interest me... ;-)

Journal Entry 10 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Monday, January 23, 2006
This book was a surprise for me. Very nice storytelling. I wouldn't have picked it iup on my own and I wouldn't have finished it, but I knew somebody liked it so I did finally finish it yesterday. It's really heartwarming and easy to read. It leaves the reader in a good mood. It's not getting 10 / 10 from me, cause I got to close to giving up midways. Thanks to Snowboots appearance I didn't. Hilarious!

Will be on its way to the next stop tonight.

Journal Entry 11 by deemaude from Langerwehe, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 07, 2006

es ist schon vor einiger Zeit angekommen, aber momentan bin ich noch dabei meine liegengebliebenen Ringe abzuarbeiten und den Alltagsstress zu reduzieren ;o]

also bald mehr...

Journal Entry 12 by deemaude from Langerwehe, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 21, 2006

die Geschichte konnte mich nicht fesseln. ich habe das Buch nur angelesen und werde es baldmöglichst weiter schicken.

Journal Entry 13 by Astraios from Braunschweig, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, April 29, 2006
At least another Book of Quantagas Surprise-Ring after quite a long time.
I never read anything from Barbara Kingsolver, so i'll give her a try yet, but it will take some time, due to MTBR. :-)

Journal Entry 14 by SJJ-315643 on Saturday, September 02, 2006
Another book that arrived during my summer leave - and another surprise. I never heard of Barbara Kingsolver before and it's no book that would have drawn my attention, but let's see! ;)

Journal Entry 15 by SJJ-315643 on Sunday, October 22, 2006
I literally inhaled this book. It fooled me at the beginning when I thought it's "just another story about a girl hitting the road". But with every turned page the story reveals more depth and tragedy and beauty...
A candidate for my own PC - enough said! ;)

Journal Entry 16 by Fandorina from Hildesheim, Niedersachsen Germany on Friday, December 01, 2006
Sorry, sorry, sorry! Ich dachte, ich hätte dieses Buch längst gejournalt. Den begeisterten Kommentaten der anderen Leserinnen zufolge sollte ich dieses Buch unbedingt lesen. Hoffe, über Weihnachten endlich mal genug Lesezeit zu haben.

Journal Entry 17 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, March 06, 2007
The book arrived today (together with another favorite book). I haven't yet made up my mind which one I'll give a go first...

Journal Entry 18 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Monday, March 19, 2007
Oh, thanks so much for this beautiful book! It was a wonderful read - heart-warming and sweet! I especially liked the bits about parenting (not having been a mom for very long myself :)) - Taylor and Lou Ann provided me with some beautiful thoughts!
The photo shows a night-blooming cereus - I'd never heard about them and was really curious about the way they looked.

Journal Entry 19 by lesezeichen from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, April 09, 2007
The book has made its way home, thanks to all of you. I am happy that most of you have liked it.