The Emperor of Scent : A True Story of Perfume and Obsession

by Chandler Burr | Science | This book has not been rated.
Registered by omly of Arlington, Massachusetts USA on 5/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by omly from Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, May 29, 2005
This book was bought at Buck-A-Book with the intention of turning it into a bookray. A biography of Luca Turin, it explores the life of a scientific vagabond and long time lover of smells. He wrote a best selling perfume guide and came up with a completely new theory about how we smell. The witty writing makes this a fun and interesting read for anyone wth an interest in scent, science or french. Yet this is written in such a conversation way that neither expects nor requires previous experience with with any of these fields.

Journal Entry 2 by omly from Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Monday, May 30, 2005
My first introduction to the behind the scene work of the consumer scent industry was when I worked for a few years for Gillette/Oral-B. There a friend and coworker introduced me to "flavor chemistry," and I first heard of Quest, a company that makes flavors and scents for many of the big companies out there. Imagine my surprise when Quest turned up again in the first few pages of this book.

Then a little less than a year ago and I discovered the joy that Black Pheonix Alchemy Lab brought to my life. My fascination with scent and how we view it has only grown by leaps and bounds since then. Beth has not only an amazing talent with her ability to create such scents, but she is also blessed with a Turin-like ability to somehow express concisely with words an entire smell experience.

So in honor of such and my upcoming "anniversay" I would love to offer the opportunity for anyone (including internationals) to get a chance to read this book, before sending it on to the lab.