The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MrsDanvers of Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on 5/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2005
Synopsis
Lily has grown up believing she accidentally killed her mother when she was four. She not only has her own memory of holding the gun, but her father's account of the event. Now fourteen, she yeams for her mother, and for forgiveness. Living on a peach farm in South Carolina with her father, she has only one friend: Rosaleen, a black servant whose sharp exterior hides a tender heart. South Carolina in the sixties is a place where segregation is still considered a cause worth fighting for. When racial tension explodes one summer afternoon, and Rosaleen is arrested and beaten, Lily is compelled to act. Fugitives from justice and from Lily's harsh and unyielding father, they follow a trail left by the woman who died ten years before. Finding sanctuary in the home of three beekeeping sisters, Lily starts a journey as much about her understanding of the world, as about the mystery surrounding her mother.

Journal Entry 2 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, June 04, 2005
Superficially this is a very "sweet" story, however it has depths; touching upon racial segregation, the emancipation of black people in the USA in the 60's and the search for one's place in society. Lily finds the sometimes painful truth about her mother, and ends up more comfortable with herself.

It's a very easy read; humorous, sad and uplifting.

Journal Entry 3 by MrsDanvers at -- Controlled Release in Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 21, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (7/21/2005 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

To another bookcrosser with thanks for his RABCK. This was on HIS wishlist.

Journal Entry 4 by anthonybairdis from Hebburn, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Received from MrsDanvers as a RABCK. It is greatly appreciated and will be read as soon as I have finished my current book.

Journal Entry 5 by anthonybairdis from Hebburn, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, April 08, 2006
An enjoyable little book, about a young teenage girl coming of age. It's quite easy to read, but has a conscience too, with a message about racism and fitting into a family. I have decided to offer this book as a bookray, and will post later with more details of that.

Journal Entry 6 by anthonybairdis from Hebburn, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 12, 2006
I've had a great response from people wanting to be part of this ray. The mailing list is:

rosiewhippet - UK
Tashe - USA
OneTwoRedBlue - USA
spiritinflight - Canada
sarahbear - Australia

The ray will remain open indefinitely, and anyone wanting to join can PM me. Their name will go at the bottom of the list.

Will be sent to rosiewhippet today (17th April)

Journal Entry 7 by rosiewhippet from Fenstanton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 21, 2006
Received the book safely. Have been looking forward to reading this one! Just noticed that thebook was first registered in Ely, Cambs. Thats about 20 mins from here!!

Am reading another book at the mo, but will be finish very soon will start it next week.
Will let you know how it goes

Rosiewhippet. x

Journal Entry 8 by rosiewhippet from Fenstanton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Nearly finished. Am really enjoying this book, took me a couple of chapters to get into it, but am finding it ace now!! Just can't wait to find out the ending.

Will PM the next person to get their address.
Will let you know when I'm done.

Rosiewhippet. x

Journal Entry 9 by rosiewhippet from Fenstanton, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 04, 2006
Have just finnished reading this book. I really liked it. I wasn't sure at the beginning...it took me a couple of chapters to get into it. I thought it was a little bit slow to get started. However it was a lovely little story with a happy ending, which you would expect.

I won't give any more away otherwise I will spoil it for the rest of you!!

Thanks for this ring,
I have chocdrop's address so I will get it in the post to her later today.

Thanks to anthonybairdis for this one.

Journal Entry 10 by rosiewhippet at on Thursday, May 04, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (5/4/2006 UTC) at

Am sending this onto the next person in the ring...Chocdrop. Enjoy.

Sent 2nd Class 04/05/06.

Journal Entry 11 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 06, 2006
This book arrived today - thanks rosiewhippet.

I've got one bookring to finish before this, but it shouldn't take me too long to read it.

Journal Entry 12 by chocdrop from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 18, 2006
I've just finished reading this book. I also found it a bit slow to start with, but once you get past the first couple of chapters, it's an enjoyable read. I will get this in the post to carriehhh later today.

Journal Entry 13 by carriehhh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 20, 2006
I received this in the post yesterday - thank you! It's next on my TBR list!

Journal Entry 14 by carriehhh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
I enjoyed this book admittedly more towards the end - I agree with past journalers that it is very slow to start off with, but persevere! It is a good read and a pretty easy one. I have PMed lapin-blanc, next on the mailing list, and when I get the address it'll be winging its way to Ile-de-France. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 16 by lapin-blanc from Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, May 31, 2006
The book arrived safely today per post. Thank you Carriehhh for the lovely postcard and ton très sympathique texte en français :-)!
Will probably start reading it this week-end.

Journal Entry 17 by lapin-blanc from Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, June 09, 2006
I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy to read, touching and heartwarming book of racial tension, acceptance and coming of age.

The Secret Life of bees has been sent to Portugal today.

Boa leitura!

Journal Entry 18 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Just arrived today! (Oh I love getting home and having a book waiting for me in the post box!)I'm looking forward to it.

Et merci lapin-blanc pour la petite surprise. (did I get that right?)

Journal Entry 19 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, June 26, 2006
An enjoyable read of a coming of age story. I specially enjoyed Lilly's 14 year old voice (which I found quite believable).

Though it's a light book, it brushes on some deeper subjects with that innocence and sense of discovery that a young adult would have. Racial segregation and injustice, the pain of loss and feelings of abandonment, bad memories that haunt you every day, alongside the discovery of true frindship and companionship, and of first love. In general a very sweet book, that I rather enjoyed.

Will mail to shorty04 tommorrow morning.

Journal Entry 20 by shorty04 from Brownsville, Kentucky USA on Friday, July 07, 2006
Got it today.

Will start it today too!

Journal Entry 21 by shorty04 from Brownsville, Kentucky USA on Saturday, July 08, 2006
This was a delightful little read. This was a very touching story. I loved that it was through the eyes of a 14 year old in the turbulent 60's.

Released 14 yrs ago (7/9/2006 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sending to rooshill to keep the ray moving!

Journal Entry 23 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Sunday, July 23, 2006
I have to finish at least one of the books I'm reading before I start this, but will get to it within a week I'm sure.

Journal Entry 24 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Saturday, August 05, 2006
I loved this book. I wasn't sure if I'd get into it, since I read The Mermaid Chair a while ago (my first S. M. Kidd book) and kind of liked it, but kind of didn't...but now I've revised my opinion of the author!
This was one of those books that slipped away without me noticing - before I knew it, I was finished!
Thanks for setting up the ray, anthony. :)

Journal Entry 25 by Tashe from Toledo, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 26, 2006
Hmm, I have received this book about a week ago and I apologize for my tardiness in journaling. It arrived safely. I am in the midsts of reading it but am at the moment a bit disappointed in it. It was toted as an exceptional book but I am finding it difficult to believe Lily's voice as believeable or even very likable. I also find it a bit patronizing to african american population while toting prejudiced words as honesty. I am willing to try to finish it, despite my initial bad reaction to the novel. I recognize I am in the minority in not liking this book.

I will pop back here in a couple of days and let you know if the book was somehow redeemed in my eyes and to give the next one in this ring a heads up. Have a great day,

Tashe

Journal Entry 26 by Tashe from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, September 18, 2006
I am having difficulties getting ahold of OneTwoRedBlue who is next in line for the book. So, I am contacting Spiritinflight in hopes of sending the book on. I have asked her to again see if she can contact OneTwoRedBlue, perhaps she is simply on vacation and did not get my messages.

Hope to have the book out soon. Sorry for the holdup.

Tashe

Journal Entry 27 by spiritinflight from Tweed, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 02, 2006
just recieved today look forward to reading this

Journal Entry 28 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2007
I've passed on sarahbear's address to spiritinflight, so the "Bees" should be travelling DownUnder soon.