One Child

by Torey Hayden | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 0007199058 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Robbiesmum of Thirsk, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/26/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Robbiesmum from Thirsk, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 26, 2005
I really enjoyed this book - it's one of the best memoirs I've read because it is from the teacher's point of view. Having taught disadvantaged and disaffected kids, I could completely relate to her problems not knowing and not being able to manage what happens to a kid when they leave at 4 o'clock.
When Sheila arrives at the Special Ed class, she has viciously attacked a little boy, and is known for being abandoned at 4, and has experienced abuse and neglect. But the teacher works patiently and innovatively to bring Sheila out of her shell and discovers the wonder of this child.
Fascinating book - and shows why teachers should be allowed to use their skills and imagination when teaching. One size does not fit all.
I'm going to send this to Lucycat for the Hull OBCZ.

Journal Entry 2 by Robbiesmum at -- Controlled Release in Lancaster, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (7/1/2005 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Lancaster, Lancashire United Kingdom

Posted to Lucycat for the Hull OBCZ