The Beach

by Alex Garland | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by drutt of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on 5/24/2005
Journal Entry 1 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Amazon.co.uk Review
In our ever-shrinking world, where popular Western culture seems to have infected every nation on the planet, it is hard to find even a small niche of unspoiled land--forget searching for pristine islands or continents. This is the situation in Alex Garland's debut novel, The Beach. Human progress has reduced Eden to a secret little beach near Thailand. In the tradition of grand adventure novels, Richard, a rootless traveller rambling around Thailand on his way somewhere else, is given a hand-drawn map by a madman who calls himself Daffy Duck. He and two French travellers set out on a journey to find this paradise.

What makes this a truly satisfying novel is the number of levels on which it operates. On the surface it's a fast-paced adventure novel; at another level it explores why we search for these utopias, be they mysterious lost continents or small island communes. Garland weaves a gripping and thought-provoking narrative that suggests we are, in fact, such products of our Western culture that we cannot help but pollute and ultimately destroy the very sanctuary we seek

Journal Entry 2 by drutt at Glasgow Green in Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 02, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (3/2/2006 UTC) at Glasgow Green in Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom

Will be left somewhere near the People's Palace.

Journal Entry 3 by Orkneyviking from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 02, 2006
Hi,
Was suffering badly in the park on a very crisp and cold evening on 2nd March 2006. It was the end of a very beautiful winters day in the city. The sky was blue all the way to the horizon and despite the cold it was and uplifting sort of day. The book was just sitting on a park bench all forlorn and lost. I suspected a traveler had spent the night in the park and forgotten their precious story, but oh no it was planned and I've been caught by the chain. Looks like an OK book. I have seen the film.... I think? or was it just the trailer...

.....ah yes the suffering well I was on the 7th rep. of 9 in a 3x3 by 2minute hard interval session. Does that mean anything to anyone? Well lets just say I was pretty knackered.

Havn't read yet but will do my duty when the time comes.

Good luck