The Rachel Papers

by Martin Amis | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by angellica of Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 5/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by angellica from Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 23, 2005
Synopsis
Charles Highway, a precociously intelligent and highly sexed teenager, is determined to sleep with an older woman before he turns twenty. Rachel fits the bill perfectly and Charles plans his seduction meticulously, sets the scene with infinite care - but it doesn't come off quite as Charles expects.

Released 13 yrs ago (7/9/2005 UTC) at Sheffield Meet @ The Showroom in Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 3 by AbPh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 09, 2005
Picked up at bookcrossers' meetup 9.7.05.

Journal Entry 4 by AbPh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Really enjoyed this book -it exceeded my expectations. It's witty, entertaining, wise and very, very, honest (which accounts for the nastiness). I winced, laughed, and found myself identifying with a sex obsessed 19 year old male... which is not easy.

It's also intelligent, full of sound literary references, and suitably snobby. Just my thing!

Had bizarrely assumed I wouldn't like Martin Amis but after this I will go out of my way to read more of his stuff.

Journal Entry 5 by AbPh from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 30, 2005
Passed on to another bookcrosser...

The bookcrosser I passed it to hated it and actually gave it back to me!

Journal Entry 6 by AbPh at The Bean in Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2005 UTC) at The Bean in Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Am leaving this book upstairs in 'The Bean' in the Internet Cafe bit, on a windowsill as I can't find the Bookcrossing bookshelf (the place is absolutely packed though).