Night Blooming

by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro | Horror | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 6/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Picked this up at Willow Tree Books.

I was hoping this was early in the series, but I found out this is #15 (in the order of publication). I would be happy to trade this one for one earlier in the series.

From the cover -
Blending the dark eroticism of the vampire with suspenseful adventure in history's most exotic locales, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's acclaimed Saint-Germain epic is a unique, enduring romantic saga of a lonely hero who walks the earth throughout time, battling for honor... and love.
Gaul, A.D. 800: Rakoczy de Sanctus Germainius is ordered by the Frankish conqueror Karl-lo-Magne to lead a suspected heretic before a Papal inquisition. A beautiful albino afflicted with stigmata, Gynethe Mehaut, like the cursed vampire, cannot tolerate sunlight and will be condemned as a demon. And on the deadly roads to ruined Rome, passion blooms between the two night-dwellers. Now there is only one way Rakoczy can save the woman he loves from the prejudices of this dark age. But if he dares to rescue Gynethe, the rage of the defied King will bring the wrath of a continent down upon them both - and an innocent girl's soul will be forever damned...

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018
One of the books from maryzee's collection 6of8 gave me to help distribute.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, August 09, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (8/9/2018 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Passing along to another BCer who will enjoy the book and knew MaryZee.

Enjoy!

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018
The books arrived safely on this rainy day; many thanks for the opportunity to move MaryZee's books along.

I've enjoyed the "Saint-Germain" series since the first book,Hotel Transylvania, set in 18th-century Paris; the mix of historical detail with perilous adventure and occasional steamy romance is an effective one. [The books jump around in time, so if you're devoted to reading a series in order you'll have to decide whether to read these in order of publication or in order by in-story timeframe. The author's web site includes a list of the books in either order. The books each stand alone quite well, though.] Some of my favorites include Blood Games, set in ancient Rome, and Out of the House of Life, set in ancient Egypt and, so far, the earliest look at the Count's history. I also love The Saint-Germain Chronicles, a collection of short stories ranging from the 17th century to modern times.

This book is set in Gaul in 800, during the time of Charlemagne - and also during the lifetime of Olivia, the Count's beloved from Roman times. Since the series was published out of chronological order, I knew Olivia's fate from previous books, but it's nice to have another story set during her lifetime - even if she isn't on stage all that much. As always, the book is full of historic detail, with letters between the great and powerful about political and religious matters, and between merchants and messengers re the handling of the vampires' estates. And, yet again, the Count has to (pardon the expression) pull up stakes and relocate...

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Wasserman Park in Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, November 01, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/2/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Wasserman Park in Merrimack, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library near the playground at Wasserman Park on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***