A Clockwork Orange

by Anthony Burgess | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jehanine of Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 5/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by jehanine from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, May 22, 2005
Classic nightmare vision of youth in revolt, its amorality contrasted with the evil of the State that attempts reform by destroying the will. This is the Sight and Sound edition.

Journal Entry 2 by jmcbeth from Boothbay Harbor, Maine USA on Saturday, July 02, 2005
I'm tempted to hold on to this, since I will almost certainly read it again - but probably not in the next few years and I'll probably move continent again in that time so I'll share this with another bookcrosser.

"the attempt to impose upon man, a creature of growth and capable of sweetness, too ooze juicily at the last round the bearded lips of god, to attempt to impose, I say, laws and conditions appropriate to a mechanical creation, against this I raise my sword-pen..."

I imagine the setting of this book being Manchester in 2050, though that may not have been his intent I can't find any date info on where he was living when he wrote the book, that fact he was from Manchester might have influenced the setting? :-) I'm going to want to read this book again someday, after I've read more, and thought more about the issues raised about choice and morality here. 10 star book, excellent read.

For more information on Anthony Burgess, see http://www.anthonyburgess.com.

Journal Entry 3 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, July 25, 2005
Picked up at the bookcrossing meeting - it was looking lonely and sad.

Excellent book and a nice edition too.

Journal Entry 4 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Sent to bubbleseed in Sydney, Australia today.

Enjoy it - it's a great book.

Journal Entry 5 by mitchperko from Narara, New South Wales Australia on Friday, October 14, 2005
Received today from veganknitter, thanks so much for that.
It's 3rd on my list of TBR, and I look forward to reading it before the end of the year!

Journal Entry 6 by mitchperko from Narara, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 03, 2007
This was so generously sent to me as a RABCK, but I just haven't had time to read it, and am going to pass it on in the hope someone else can enjoy it... I'm also moving house soon, and wanted it to be enjoyed, or it will sit on my book shelf for another year :)

Journal Entry 7 by Heaven150 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 02, 2011
Oh my, I finished this book a couple of days ago and now as I'm entering the journal entry I see that I hadn't journaled it when I first received it. I am so sorry. I'm not even sure when I received it. I feel terrible. :-(

*****************************

This is an interesting story. It has some very disturbing parts. And others were a bit difficult to understand, although I did grasp quite a bit of 'nadsat', enough to get what was being said for the most part.

I can't say that Alex is a likable character. He is an interesting narrator though. The only part I found a bit too coincidental is the library reading room scene. I do see why this is on the 1001 list and I am glad to have read it. Debating whether to see the movie or not.

Will be donating this to the 1001-library so other library members can enjoy it.

Thank you for sharing this with me. Again I'm so sorry it wasn't journaled sooner.

Journal Entry 8 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation Heaven150!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 9 by Heaven150 at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (2/22/2012 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sent out to as part of the US/Can 1001-library VBB. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Arrived today. Thank you so much for sending it to me. It is a book on my wishlist. I am looking forward to reading the book.

Journal Entry 11 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, September 10, 2012
I almost feel like somethings wrong with me for not liking this book; it seems to be overwhelmingly popular. And it does have some good points, but I just couldn't get into the book. Nor did I think it was absolutely brilliant. It was good, but not to my taste.

Alex is in a gang that roams the streets at night, causing mischief and mayhem. They strike terror into those who meet up with them and are capable of causing great violence. But when Alex gets caught his life changes drastically. And after a few years in prison he is offered the chance to go free again, but only if he submits to a new experiment the government wants to try out. Not realizing what he'd be giving up, he goes for it, and discovers what its like to have choice taken away from you.

I personally didn't think Alex suffered enough. Actually I think he gets off pretty easy throughout the book. So the message involving Alex and free will and such didn't really get through to me.

And the lessons in this book are unusual. Themes of good vs. bad vs. free will vs. control are predominant. And the author makes you question what is best.

I know people love it but apparently it just didn't speak to me. I'm not sure if I'll watch the movie as a result of not really caring for this book.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/11/2012 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! to eparks4232 for RABCK and KTM release challenges. I am thrilled the book has found a new reader.

Journal Entry 13 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 12, 2012
This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing booklady331:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 14 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, January 13, 2017
This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing eparks4232:)