The Hippopotamus

by Stephen Fry | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by catsalive of Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on 5/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 22, 2005
back cover:
Ted Wallace is an old, sour, womanising, cantankerous, whisky-sodden beast of a failed poet and drama critic, but he has his faults too. Fired from his newspaper, months behind on his alimony payments and disgusted with a world that undervalues him, Ted seeks a few months repose and free drink at Swafford Hall, the country mansion of his old friend Lord Logan. But strange things have been going on at Swafford. Miracles. Healings. Phenomena beyond the comprehension of a mud-caked hippopotamus like Ted...

Journal Entry 2 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Very enjoyable, funny and the language is brilliant. Tedward is a cynical old beast & likes to make his feelings known. There's a bit of autobiography in Michael Logan's ancestry which is quite interesting. Poor Davey, Logan's son, is a very confused boy & Lilac's healing is a bit icky, but mostly I just enjoyed the English language being used so well. Stephen Fry is a clever fellow.

Journal Entry 3 by catsalive at Australia, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/20/2008 UTC) at Australia, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

For our September Southern Crosser, crimson-tide.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, September 01, 2008
Two wish list books for the Southern Cross - I am spoilt! Thanks cat. I haven't as yet read any Stephen Fry, but from your comment this looks like a pretty good place to start.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, November 30, 2015
Oh boy, doesn't time fly! Finally made it to read this one, and after a bit of a false start it turned out to be an amusing and enjoyable read. Fry is certainly a master of the English language, and as is usual with much of his work, the narrative contains many elements which if it were on TV would come complete with warnings for coarse language, adult themes, sexual references and sex scenes... ;-) Overall a well written story which will make you chuckle, may make you squirm in parts, but also make you think.

Journal Entry 6 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, November 30, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/30/2015 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Starting off on a long trip on the slow boat to Chocbrownie in the U.K.
A thank you for a recent RABCK. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 7 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, March 14, 2016
What a lovely surprise to come home to, after a tough day at work. Thanks so much crimson-tide. I've just recently re-newed my interest in reading Fry's books as I read his 'The Liar' last month. Love the idea that this book has travelled by ship and got here, despite taking 3 and a half months. I shall try to use this way too now I know it exists!

Journal Entry 8 by Chocbrownie at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Overall quite an amusing mystery. I took an instant dislike to the main character Ted Wallace, but he was in keeping of his time and was successful in his task (no spoilers here). Davey’s antics won’t be to everyone’s taste but to be expected in a book by Fry.

Journal Entry 9 by Chocbrownie at 'Mind' Charity Shop in Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, December 15, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (12/14/2017 UTC) at 'Mind' Charity Shop in Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

Left at Mind Charity Shop on Christchurch High Street.

Enjoy!