The Assistant

by Bernard Malamud | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 5/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, May 20, 2005
Found this in my favourite shop in Zuerich, the enormous and fantastic second hand bookstore Buecher Brocky!

Found it quite by accident on the shelves, and realised it was the title of RABCK a BCUKer wants. I may just read it myself first though :-)

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, May 29, 2005
This was a really unusual book, a true tragedy. Well-written and compelling!
A story about work, earning money, love, striving to get an education. About how people make their way in the world, the choices they make and the results of these choices!

It's also about reading, p.94
"He was often at the library. Almost every time Helen went there she saw him sitting over an open book at one of the tables; she wondered if all he did in his spare time was come here and read. She respected him for it. She herself averaged two weekly visits, each time checking out only a book or two, because it was one of her few pleasures to return for another. Even at her loneliest she liked being among books, although she was sometimes depressed to see how much there was to read that she hadn't."

From the back cover.
"To be poor is bad enough; to be a poor Jew is a crime. Frankie Alpine should have known that a Gentile should never try to help a poor Jew and he brought tragedy to the house of Morris and Ida Bober."

Bernard Malamud (1914-1986)

A writer who used the Jew as a metaphor for humankind.

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Sent today on a magical RABCK - enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 09, 2005
Nipped home at lunchtime after a fraught morning and found this on my doormat! What a lovely surprise and with the makings of a 'nice cup of tea' from excellent BXer Helen. Thank you so much. You've made my day!