Norwegian Wood

by Haruki Murakami, trans Jay Rubin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by veganknitter of Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 6/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, June 19, 2005
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

I enjoyed this but not as much as I thought I would, although it is very sexy.

I did find the hero rather irritating though.

Did you know there's a massage parlour in Hoylake on the Wirral (across the Mersey from Liverpool) called Norwegian Wood?

Makes me laugh every time I go past it (there's also a fantastic chocolate shop).

Journal Entry 2 by veganknitter from Bolton, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Sent to rossella05 as part of the "Time for a Great Britain Only" Book Relay.

Journal Entry 3 by rem_XIV-590003 on Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Arrived today, thank you veganknitter. I haven't read Murakami before but I've heard great things. Hope to read it soon.

Journal Entry 4 by rem_XIV-590003 on Thursday, February 19, 2009
Well, I didn't read it soon... for some reason I kept passing it up every time I went to my bookshelf to choose my next book but I'm glad I finally got round to it. Toru reminded me in some ways of a friend of mine. I can see why many would find this character irritating, his introspective and detached personality gives the impression that he doesn't care about the events and people around him and his well-meaning efforts can be construed as opportunistic. I see him primarily as a young man who is trying to understand himself and make sense of the world around him. The story develops around a series of relationships that Toru establishes with very different people. The two main female characters, Midori and Naoko are exact opposites, neither of them seem real to me, they're more a representation of the paths open to the protagonist. In the end by choosing one of them he sees himself more clearly, the good and the bad and this allows him to get to grips with his pain and ultimately move on. Toru's voice echoes the social struggles of his time and his experiences coincide with the momentous events that shaped the world we live in. lt's a skillfully written sensitive and authentic novel, I loved it. I know vegan-knitter has recently passed away but I want to thank her anyway for sharing this book with me and introducing me to a new author. And Norwegian Wood sounds like the perfect name for a massage parlour ;)

Journal Entry 5 by rem_XIV-590003 at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 19, 2009

Released 15 yrs ago (2/19/2009 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Posting on Saturday to bjorg as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 6 by Bjorg from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Thanks so much Rossella05, the book arrived today:) I have wanted to read this book for a long time, it probably have to stay in my TBR pile for a bit but hopefully not for long.

Journal Entry 7 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Sunday, June 5, 2011
A strange book, sometimes I was about to give up on it but I wanted to know what would happen to the 3 main chacters so that kept me going:) It´s always strange when a book is both interesting and boring at the same time, perhaps I just missed the point??

Journal Entry 8 by Bjorg at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (11/2/2011 UTC) at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland

A wishlist book for my partner in Nattabee´s Secret Angel Exchange Game :) I know it´s not christmas yet but I want to get this book moving before the Christmas rush starts ;)

Journal Entry 9 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Thursday, November 10, 2011
Thank you so much, my Secret Angel! I couldn't wait until Christmas to open this parcel - and what a lovely surprise it was. I have read 2 of Murakami's books so far, and reading third one at the moment so this is so suitable!!!!

Thanks for the lovely magnet & handcream too!

Journal Entry 10 by wingChaniawing at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Saturday, September 15, 2012
I loved this book! It was nostalgic and so fresh at the same time. I liked the sadness and the small happy moments in the story, nothing was exaggerated, and still the feelings were deep and somehow clear. Loved it!

Sending this to Lisko Miettinen now as a part of Finnish wish list-tag game.

Journal Entry 11 by LiskoMiettinen at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Thursday, September 20, 2012
What a suprise in my mailbox. I was so depressed that I haven't found any book from city to pick home.

I just love Haruki Murakami's books. It can take some time to read this. I have so much books right now. But thank you very much. :)

Journal Entry 12 by LiskoMiettinen at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Sunday, December 9, 2012
I think that story (book itself) was sad. Maybe I was so sad when I read this that my feelings are effecting to the story. ok. I still enjoy a lot. I would like to read more Murakami.

Journal Entry 13 by LiskoMiettinen at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Released 11 yrs ago (12/11/2012 UTC) at Tornio, Lappi / Lappland Finland

Laitoin paketin matkaan. Toivottavasti en mennyt sekaisin kirjoista tai osoitteista. :D Hah!

Journal Entry 14 by sannuli at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Thursday, December 13, 2012
Tuli oikeeseen osoitteeseen :D Thank you so so much!!! :)

Journal Entry 15 by sannuli at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, October 22, 2013
The first page: how beautiful language! I was so thrilled to finally begin reading the book. But then I got bored. Read some more, liked much more and a bit later got bored again. Strange. The book was somehow a disappointment though I must admit I didn't have any precise expectations as I hadn't read any Murakami before. Mmh. Confusing. And what about the ending? I must have a missed a very very important point because it didn't make any sense to me. I don't know how to rate this book so I won't. Hope to read more Murakami though.

Journal Entry 16 by sannuli at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Released 10 yrs ago (10/26/2013 UTC) at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland

To Soozreader. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Sunday, October 27, 2013
Thank you very much for this book!:)

Journal Entry 18 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Sunday, April 14, 2024
I tried and tried but unfortunately this just wasn’t my cup of tea so it is time to pass this on to a new reader.

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at 2024 - Tampere, Finland, BookCrossing Convention -- Controlled Releases

I spotted this on your wishlist. Happy Convention and Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 20 by wingDutchbladwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024
Surprise catch from the RABCK table at the Tampere BC Convention.
Book was on my wishlist to be read for the 1001-books list challenge.
Thanks for saving it for me.