Now All We Need Is a Title: Famous Book Titles and How They Got That Way

by Andre Bernard | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/27/2002
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 27, 2002
This is a cute little book that I picked up on a whim from the bargain shelf at B&N. It turned out to be even funnier than I had thought; lots of snippets about how various authors came up with the titles of their books (or how they didn't - in many cases, editors and/or family members stepped in), along with background info on what some of the more exotic titles mean. Did you know that "Gone With the Wind"'s working title was "Pansy" (for the character later known as Scarlett)? Or that Peter Benchley's father (author Nathaniel) suggested "What's That Noshin' on My Laig?" as a title for the book later to become famous as "Jaws"?

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 20, 2002
Gave to my sister in New York...

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Hudson Valley Writers' Center in Sleepy Hollow, New York USA on Friday, November 08, 2002
Released on Friday, November 08, 2002 at Hudson Valley Writers' Center in Sleepy Hollow, New York USA.

My sister left this one on a table in the Writers' Center.