The Calling of Emily Evans

by Janette Oke | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by snowy652 of Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on 5/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by snowy652 from Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Description: She feels God nudging her toward ministry, but what options are there for a young single woman?

Emily Evans has a hard time getting herself to class on time, much less figuring out God's will for her life. Then, to her surprise, she feels that God is calling her into full-time Christian service. She expects the Lord will also provide her with a companion to share her life and ministry, but Emily does not want to marry any of the available young men. She squares her shoulders and decides she will accept the task of opening a new church in a pioneer community--alone.

When Emily arrives at her new assignment, she is disappointed to find the church building in disrepair. After many days of hard work fixing it up, she announces her first service and is once again disappointed, this time in the size of her congregation. Is her faith strong enough to stand against the local doubters and myriad challenges that will test her calling?

***This was a quick read for me and I found the story to be very interesting and inspiring. I admired Emily for her devotion to God and to seek Him first even when she was tempted to look elsewhere. I very much enjoy Oke's books and the likable characters that she writes about.

reserved for fungirl503

Journal Entry 2 by snowy652 at on Thursday, January 18, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (1/18/2007 UTC) at

sent to fungirl503

Journal Entry 3 by fungirl503 from Portland, Oregon USA on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
got the book today thankyou so much for sending the book

Journal Entry 4 by fungirl503 from Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, June 15, 2007
I was hoping for a beter plot with this book. Emily goes off to bible school and finds it hard to keep up with her class mates she is called to served God in a little town away from family. Going to a bookcrosser soon

Journal Entry 5 by fungirl503 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, June 15, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (6/15/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Portland, Oregon USA

going to another bookcrosser

Journal Entry 6 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Monday, July 16, 2007
You know, I think this is one of the older Janette Oke books that I have never read. I'm excited to read this. Thanks fungirl503!

------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday the 18th:
As expected from Janette Oke, a bit sappy, but always fun for a light read. I really appreciate the research and personal connections that Oke uses in her novels. This is a part of the American (as in North American) history of which I was unaware - single women missionary/deaconess/teacher-preachers. An admirable character about which to read. I was a bit disappointed that the entire story culminated in Emiliy Evans "getting a man," as if that were the goal the entire book. It kind of demolished the rest of the story.

Journal Entry 7 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Friday, March 21, 2008
Off in the post to new member Meredia. I hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by Meredia from Wasilla, Alaska USA on Thursday, April 10, 2008
received today looking forward to reading thanks