Frankenstein

by Mary Shelley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcrimson-tidewing of Balingup, Western Australia Australia on 5/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, May 15, 2005
A timeless, terrifying tale of one man's obsession to create life -- and the monster that became his legacy.

A classic. Complete and unabridged.
Different cover pic.

Journal Entry 2 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, July 31, 2007
One of the "1001 books you must read before you die".
Offering this as a booking - Australia only.

Paticipants so far:
dophin-au - NSW
back home to me

Journal Entry 3 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, January 28, 2008
Yes, I know this was offered six months ago!
I think everyone is bookringed out atm, especially with 1001 books.

Take all the time you want with this one dolphin-au. If you find some-one else who wants to read it, then pass it on by all means. I probably wouldn't even notice if it never came home again.
;-)

Journal Entry 4 by dolphin-au from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Thanks crimson-tide. Will put it on mount TBR (which is now back up to 274 books). Looking forward to read this, though it might be a while.

Journal Entry 5 by dolphin-au from Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 10, 2009
I finally got around to reading this. It's a great story at heart, but the style of writing is terribly old-fashioned. I'll let my 15 year old son read this too, in the hope he won't be too turned off by the 18th century prose. Once he finished with it, which should not take more than a day, I'll send it back to ou crimson-tide (if you still want it back, that is).
I found it slightly amusing to have such an obvious female voice tell this story, which is quite gruesome in places. As all three narrators were supposedly male they all seemed to suffer from some gender insecurity.

Journal Entry 6 by dolphin-au at Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/3/2010 UTC) at Bookring, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Returned to crimson-tide. Thanks

Journal Entry 7 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 12, 2010
Thanks dolphin-au. The bookring come boomerang has flown home.
Hoisted back onto the 1001 books TBR pile.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Monday, July 01, 2019

Finally managed to read it. Reasonably interesting from a historical perspective and brings up a number of philosophical questions, but overall I found it a disappointment. As befits the century, the style is florid and everything described in a melodramatic, overdone manner with language to match - but strangely the end result is a slow and rather tedious tale told mostly by Frankenstein himself with a shorter section given to the Creature, and all book-ended by episodes written by an explorer on an arctic expedition vessel.

Victor Frankenstein would have to be one of the most self-absorbed, whining, irresponsible, cowardly and unlikeable characters I've met in a long time. The Creature himself had more sensitivity and moral fibre until circumstances and attitudes turned him vengeful. You gotta feel sorry for the poor thing though.

Journal Entry 9 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup Visitor Centre in Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (12/11/2019 UTC) at Balingup Visitor Centre in Balingup, Western Australia Australia

On the book swap shelf on the verandah.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Hello and congratulations!  You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large.  I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing - maybe even make a journal entry on this book.  You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!)  And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll tell them that crimson-tide referred you.  Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend, or even set it free out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did.  If you do choose to join, then you can watch the book as it travels - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry.  It's all completely confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

I hope you enjoy BookCrossing as much as I do. Happy reading!