My Sister Eileen

by Ruth McKenney | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by mojosmom of Chicago, Illinois USA on 5/14/2005
Journal Entry 1 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, May 14, 2005
A collection of short stories about McKenney's life with her sister, Eileen. These were first published in The New Yorker, and were later made into a play, then a film, then a musical (Wonderful Town), then again as a musical film, and twice on television! Whew! Wish I had her royalties!

I'm going to read this one soon, and then take it to New York and release it there. (I have, of course, used Bookplate #10, "Bookcrossing in Times Square"!)

Journal Entry 2 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, May 26, 2005
Unlike the musical/play/film, etc., most of this book does not take place in New York. Most of the stories are about Eileen and Ruth's growing-up in Ohio, their family life, their beaux, their school chums. It is only the last couple of chapters that are about their taking Greenwich Village by storm.

It's a marvelous collection, though you do have to know something of the period in which it is taking place to really appreciate parts of it. (You won't, for instance, understand the chapter "Noel Coward and Mrs. Griffin: Our Dismal Attempts to Get Cultured and how Mr. Coward Ruined Our Lives" unless you are familiar enough with Coward's work and with Arlen's The Green Hat to understand just what was so shocking about two young girls seeing that awful play, "The Vortex".)

It's a delightful romp about two sisters with very different personalities and styles, yet who love each other very much and have a great deal of fun together. I had fun with them, too.

Journal Entry 3 by mojosmom at -- Wild Released New York City in New York City, New York USA on Friday, June 3, 2005

Released 16 yrs ago (5/31/2005 UTC) at -- Wild Released New York City in New York City, New York USA

Left on the stoop of this apartment building, which is where the McKenney sisters lived