Sexing the Cherry

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by GlitterLover of Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on 5/14/2005
Journal Entry 1 by GlitterLover from Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 14, 2005
I am a big fan of Jeanette Winterson. Her writing is rich and evocative, drawing you into her world. I bought this to release it.

Amazon.co.uk Review
Set in 17th century London, Sexing the Cherry is about the journeys taken by the boisterous Dog-Woman and her son Jordan: journeys across seas to find bananas and pineapples; journeys through time that weave snatches of the present with tales of Charles 1 and Oliver Cromwell; journeys in search of the self. As mothers go, the Dog-Woman takes some beating. She's a giant, wrapped in a skirt that could "serve as a sail for some wartorn ship" and strong enough to fling an elephant into the air. She's hideous too, with smallpox scars on her face where fleas live, a flat nose and black, broken teeth. To top it all, she's a "fantasist, a liar and a murderer". But her son, Jordan, is proud of her--who else has a mother who can hold a dozen oranges in her mouth at once?
Like the best of Winterson's writing, such as Oranges are not the Only Fruit and The Passion, the novel is engaging, ambitious and contrary. Alongside a hearty historical realism, young girls swoon in locked towers that don't exist, islands slip sideways in time and mysterious diseases wipe out towns and cities. Even though Sexing the Cherry is short, it is impossible to read it in a straight line--fairy tales and dreams run in and out of the text and it's hard to resist chasing them. There is an exceptional playfulness at work too--an unravelling of the most solid of historical facts and fantastically unconventional fairy tales in which princesses smash the skulls of their princes with silver candlesticks or become worn and grey "like old sweaters". --Jane Honey

Journal Entry 2 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Friday, May 27, 2005
Thank you so much for this RABCK, glitterlover! (And the little shiny bits in the envelope were lovely, too - what a cute idea to go with your name.) I've already begun reading this, and look forward to passing it on some time. Thanks again, you really brightened this new mommy's day. :-)

Journal Entry 3 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 12, 2005
What an unusual, beautiful, and lyrical little book this is! I've never read Jeanette Winterson's work before and I very much enjoyed discovering her unique voice. This is one of those books you sort of devour in one sitting and then take several days to ponder. Very well done and thank you again for sharing this with me, GlitterLover! I will find a good way to continue its travels.

Journal Entry 4 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006
International bookray!

I'd like to keep this open-ended for as long as possible, but if you find yourself the last person on the list after you've read it, please find an appropriate thing to do with the book. (You can start another ray or a ring, share it with someone you know or another BCer, or just give it a good home. Please just be sure to make a journal entry stating what you're doing.) Thanks!

Mailing order:
tiatia (VA)
kbgoffe (OR)
mellion108 (MI)
Hellie (UK) - wishes to be skipped
al3xa (Wales, UK)
BettyBoekwurm (Portugal) (prefers Europe)
bookmanu (Portugal)
hshah (India) - wishes to be skipped
darkpunkangel (Canada)
buocl (OH)
Cross-patch (UK)
shnedwards (UK)
ealasaidmae (WV) (prefers North America)
GateGypsy (Canada)
ivylibra224 (MO) (US only)
Bluestocking88 (WA) (US only)
-ClaidissaStar- (CA)
blackadder75 (PA) (prefers US but Canada okay also)
piggydiva (KS) (prefers US)Note: piggydiva has apparently started a new list. See below for mailing order!
prollacct (PA) (US only)
Rrrcaron (NH)
okyrhoe (Greece)

Don't forget to share your thoughts on the book, and happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by Guinneth from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 06, 2006
Mailed off to tiatia today. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 11, 2006
What a nice treat to welcome me home on Friday. I plan to take it with me on a work trip and if I finish it while in GA I'll send it off from there.

Journal Entry 7 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 15, 2006
Like good chocolates... small nibbles and tons of flavor; each short selection has its own tale to tell but it is often hard to know if the tale is real or a fantasy. This is my first exposure to this author and just the results I was expecting from joining BC.com. New authors and expanding my reading genres. I'll put her other books on my wish list. Thank you for sharing glitterlover; you've made a Winterson convert.

Journal Entry 8 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Friday, March 24, 2006
Wow, I am bookray rich right now. Currently I have 2 rays in front of this book. I will have to read them quickly as I can't wait to read this book. Thanks so much for sending out this ray Guinneth!

Journal Entry 9 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Wednesday, April 19, 2006
While reading this book I had to slow down and try to savor it. There were times I would reread certain passages just allowing them to tumble around in my head. Her writing in this book is so lyrically beautiful. I had enjoyed her book “Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit” but I loved this one. Currently I am 90% sure that I need to buy my own copy for my permanent collection. I want my niece, shiznitchels, to read it so I most likely will head over to Powells’s Bookstore. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this book Guinneth!

Journal Entry 10 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, April 29, 2006
The book is safe and sound in my hands! Thanks for passing it to me, kbgoffe, and thanks to Guinneth for sharing it. :) I have 2 other bookrings ahead of this one, but I'll get to this as soon as possible and pass it along to the next participant. Thanks!
Trade paperback, 144 pages

From the back cover:
Sexing the Cherry celebrates the power of the imagination as it playfully juggles with our perceptions of history and reality; love and sex; lies and truths; and the twelve dancing princesses who lived happily ever after, but not with their husbands.

Journal Entry 11 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
What a bizarre, interesting, and captivating little story! I really enjoyed reading this—Winterson has quite a way with words, and I often felt like I was actually dreaming while reading the book. I love being introduced to new-to-me authors, and this was a success!

Thanks for sharing this one, Guinneth (another great bookring from you!).

I heard from Hellie, and she has already read the book and asked to be skipped. I'll PM al3xa for an address and get this book moving!

Journal Entry 12 by al3xa from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 15, 2006
*catch* argh :) hehe bookrings/rays are all ariving at the same time. I have two others before this one but oooh the temptation to read this instantly is tOO great! *yey* I saw Jeannette Winterson @ the Hay-on-Wye Literature Festival being an amazingly inspiring bundle of energy *damn* shame i didn't have this then, i could have got it signed...

FANTASTIC!!! :) thank you!

Journal Entry 13 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, August 31, 2006
This book is now with me! I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just finishing another book, so I should get to this one soon.

Thanks for sharing! And thanks to al3xa for sending it.

Journal Entry 14 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, September 08, 2006
I discovered Jeannette Winterson recently and I've been loving everything I've read. I love the worlds she creates and it's almost like being transported into a fairy tale.

I can't help falling in love with her characters, especially the twelve dancing princesses.

Thank you for sharing! I'll send it to Bookmanu soon.

Sent on the 18th September

Journal Entry 15 by bookmanu from Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, September 24, 2006
Thanks Guinneth and BettyBoekwurm!

Received it on Friday evening (21 Sept).
I read 'The Passion' and enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading this book.Will journal again soon.

Journal Entry 16 by bookmanu from Cascais, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, January 23, 2007
My sincerest apologies to all for holding up this bookray for so long. It's now on its way to darkpunkangel - mailed on Friday 19 January 2007. hshah asked to be skipped.

This was my second encounter with Jeanette Winterson, I had previously enjoyed 'The Passion' and was quicky drawn into this offering. I loved the eccentricity created by the author and the images that were painted in my mind with her words. I'm looking forward to delving into more of her works.

Journal Entry 17 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Thanks bookmanu for sending it, arrived today. I'll probably start this tomorrow because I have to study for an exam today and its tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 28, 2007
This was a good book, I enjoyed this author's writing.

I already have buocl's address so I will send the book sometime this week.

Journal Entry 19 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Now on its way to buocl, thanks for including me in the ray Guinneth.

Journal Entry 20 by buocl from Medina, Ohio USA on Monday, February 05, 2007
Arrived today!

Journal Entry 21 by buocl from Medina, Ohio USA on Thursday, March 08, 2007
Not quite what I expected, but good in its own way. Waiting for Cross-patch's address.

Journal Entry 22 by buocl from Medina, Ohio USA on Sunday, March 11, 2007
Mailed to Cross-patch yesterday

Journal Entry 23 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2007
Arrived on Friday. We've been having pc problems so I wasn't able to log it straight away. Thank you Guinneth for letting me join the ray and buocl for posting it on. I remember liking Oranges are not the Only Fruit when I read it many years ago so I'll be interested to find out what another of Jeanette Winterson's offerings is like.

Journal Entry 24 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, April 30, 2007
This is a really little book and I thought I'd polish it off in no time at all BUT initially I couldn't see the wood for the trees. I was all for giving up, and remembering 'Oranges are not the only fruit' (which I loved) I was really disappointed. Then, the light dawned; I understood who was who and drifted into the fantasy land. Then I could appreciate the giant dog lady - a wonderful, earthy, bigger than life character - and all the names passing through the scenes. Why is Tradescant so in vogue in novels? Beautifully playful and poetic prose. In all, a very special book and I am so grateful to have had the chance to enter that world for a while.

Journal Entry 25 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, May 04, 2007
Wow, that has to be the shortest time ever between signing up for a bookring actually receiving the book! Will read this one next. Thanks very much for sharing Guinneth!

Journal Entry 26 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 06, 2007
I didn't twig the switching narrators until 20 pages in, dopey old me, but once I had I really enjoyed this: poetic and bawdy at the same time. Devoured in a day. Delicious!

Where to next, Guinneth? I'm not on the list...

Journal Entry 27 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, May 18, 2007
on its way to ealasaidmae!

Journal Entry 28 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Monday, July 02, 2007
Arrived today! This is #3 on Mt TBR

Journal Entry 29 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Saturday, July 07, 2007
Jeanette Winterson continues to amaze me. Every book I read just gets better and better. Thank you so much for sharing, Guinneth!

Journal Entry 30 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Thursday, July 12, 2007
Mailed today to GateGypsy in Canada

Journal Entry 31 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Arrived in the mail today, which is a good thing. Have SEVERAL bookring books ahead of it, so will prolly take closer to 6-8 weeks to get through this one, but it'll get on, worry not! Thanks, Guinneth, for sharing! I'm always pleased to see a 1001 book!

Journal Entry 32 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, December 23, 2007
I finally got to this book. Thank you so much Guinneth for your patience with me (and everyone else on this ray!)

I picked this up on Wednesday evening, and swore to myself to read the first 44 pages before bed, intending to read the rest of it on Thursday (my day off). As some of the other journallers said, this book wouldn't be read in great gulps, and I took until Saturday evening before I was actually done with this incredibly rich, tiny little book. I remember sitting in the back room at work hunched over the final section and exclaiming to anyone who bothered to listen, "I'm so sorry I don't actually own this book!" I will simply have to buy my own copy. What's really funny is that I already own copies of Oranges... and The Passion but I never got to reading them because... well, one reason or another, right? I'm very happy to know I have them now, though!

My first coherant thought, on the first night, about this book, once I figured out what was going on, was, "I wonder if Daniel Wallace (author of Big Fish) ever read this book?" **laughs** The way she states such fantastical things as though they were fact. And so many things, so plainly stated, that one actually misses that they are "impossible" because the characters ignore that and just do them. Like the dancer who decends from the window, cutting and re-knotting her rope a number of times on her downward journey, or the sonnet trapped in a box repeating itself endlessly until it's set free...
I was impacted by the way she describes how our lovers shape us on page 74, and how our childhood effects us (remembering and forgetting that which shapes us) on page 92. I was also quite grateful that, in an anecdote shared on pages 78-79, we are given a reason for why the book is entitled Sexing the Cherry (absence of such clarification has been a pet peeve of mine since I read The Postman Always Rings Twice earlier this year.)
I really enjoyed the pages explaining how the dancing princesses lived happily ever after, without their princes (though I suspect the ones on pages 52 and 54 are a little less happy with their "ever after" than the others.) And I will quote (from page 60) of the 12th princess, "She didn't burn in secret with a passion she could not express; she shone."
I remember, when I read Life of Pi, disliking the epilogue, thinking I could have loved the book without it, but with this book I was enchanted and glad to read through the third and final section and the explaination of alter egos (but who is the alter ego for whom?) I think, actually, it was the last bit that really made the book for me. Without it, the book would have been lyrical and entertaining and something I felt enriched to have read, but it was what I discovered and felt in the tying together of the end that resolved in me the desire to own this book, to be able to re-read it, the curiosity to investigate its author.

Speaking of which! Jeanette Winterson has her own website (are you surprised?) at http://www.jeanettewinterson.com ... but far more important, for all of us who enjoyed her style and wanted to read more, she writes a short Christmas story every year, and it's posted here!

I have ivylibra's addy, and will post this book on to her just after the new year, with best wishes and glad tidings to all... I hope this book continues to be enjoyed!

Thanks again for sharing!

Happy bookcrossing!

************************
In the post as of Jan 21st

Journal Entry 33 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Monday, January 28, 2008
This one arrived today. It's up next.

Journal Entry 34 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Saturday, February 23, 2008
Wow. That's really all I can say about this book. It's a little book that packs a wollop. I'm going to have to own a copy of this one for my PC. I'll send it along as soon as I receive an address.

Journal Entry 35 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Friday, February 29, 2008
This arrived safely today with two other bookrings. I'm looking forwards to reading it. FYI, after viewing her profile I'm skipping -Claidissastar- and will be pming blackadder75 for her address.

Journal Entry 36 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
I confess I just can't get into this. I've started it a few times but am having a hard time getting back to it. When I sit down to read, I keep passing it over for other books. I'm not sure why this is the case, I guess I just don't want to expend the energy this book deserves. I will pick up a copy of my own and try again later. I am going to move it along rather than stall the ring. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 37 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 28, 2008
This came in today's mail. I have one other bookring to read before starting this one. I hope to start the book early next week.

Journal Entry 38 by blackadder75 from Lebanon, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, April 04, 2008
This was my first Jeanette Winterson book and I loved it. It was so lyrical and easy to read. I will be looking for more of her books. I have piggydiva's address and will get this out to her soon.

Journal Entry 39 by blackadder75 at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 07, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (4/7/2008 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book shipped to piggydiva today!

Journal Entry 40 by piggydiva from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, April 21, 2008
Beautifully written. I didn't like it as much as Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, though I can't put my finger on the exact reason. This novel read like a treatise on feminist semiotics, and I kept getting caught up in that fact and had to work to enjoy the language.

I haven't heard back from prollacct, so I will contact rrrcaron to send the book to.

Journal Entry 41 by piggydiva from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Thursday, May 08, 2008
Sending to rrrcaron.

I've started a new ray list--I could use some more participants!

piggydiva--start
rrrcaron--New Hampshire, US
sunfi--Ohio
spaceystacey--New Jersey (US only ship)
supertalya--APO Seoul, Korea (prefers US ship)
libresco67--Belgium <--here now
Miss-Owl--Australia (prefers Australia ship)

Journal Entry 42 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Friday, May 16, 2008
I received this book in the mail the other day. Will try to get to it soon.
Ruth

Journal Entry 43 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 28, 2008
I'll be honest.... I had a hard time with this book. I had to keep rereading parts, but I did perservere and finish it. I wish I could say that I really enjoyed it, but it's just not the case this time around. Some parts were enjoyable, and other parts I really struggled with. Sending on to next participant.
Ruth

Journal Entry 44 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 12, 2008
Just received this in the mail today, thanks for including me. I have two other bookrings ahead of this one but I'll finish it within a month. I've already PM'ed spaceystacey for her address.

Journal Entry 45 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Well the only good thing that I found in this book was it's length, I don't feel that I wasted that much time. I didn't care for the story or her writing style for most of the book, when I finally got towards the end "Some Years Later" I did like her writing style and story telling. I just wish the rest of the book was in the same vein. I almost feel like there were pages or words missing as I was reading through this. I have the bad habit of not being able to stop reading a book until I've finished it, I almost broke that habit with this little one, but I didn't. I have spaceystacey's address so I'll get this off to her in the next couple of days, hopefully she will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 46 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 09, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/9/2008 UTC) at Dayton, Ohio USA

On it's way to spaceystacey!

Journal Entry 47 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Received in the post over the weekend. Will be reading shortly, before the end of summer season and posting forward.

Posted out to supertalya. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 48 by Supertalya on Thursday, October 23, 2008
Took a long time to get to me! I have a couple of rings first to read then I will start on this one. It's such a small book, I don't mind shipping it to Belgium when I am done.

Journal Entry 49 by Supertalya on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
I am not done with the book yet but I had to comment. I love it. I have never read anything like it. What a strange novel and I am curious to see what her other books are like.

Update: I just finished it. I prefer the first 3/4's of the book to the last bit. I am really happy about the 1001 list. It has opened me up to different kinds of literature. At first, I didn't understand why some authors or books are on that list, but I see now it is to help you experience new types of writing. :-)

Journal Entry 50 by Supertalya at Bookray, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 02, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/5/2008 UTC) at Bookray, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Libresco67 wrote me back with his address. Enjoy!