THE TALENTED MR.RIPLEY

by Patricia Highsmith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Tali2 on 5/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Tali2 on Friday, May 13, 2005
If this book could talk, which stories would it tell? I think it has already been read by many readers. I bought it at a sale at the Avon county library in Bristol, when I was there studying abroad for a year. Then it travelled back with me to Germany.

My experience with this book (translation to follow):
Beim Lesen dieses Buches läuft einem echt ein Schauer über den Rücken! Gruselig, wie man mit Tom Ripley mitfiebert, obwohl er doch so fies ist!

Journal Entry 2 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, June 03, 2005
Da ich dieses Buch schon lange auf meiner Wunschliste habe, werde ich dieses mal herausnehmen und mir demnächst zu Gemüte führen. Ja ja, ich weiß... es ist erst in die "Englische Urlaubsbuchbox" reingekommen, aber dafür lege ich auch zwei Bücher rein... ;-)

Journal Entry 3 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005
Wirklich ein super Buch, es hat mir sehr gut gefallen und kann es nur empfehlen. Habe auch noch die deutsche Version in meinem TBR-Regal, die ich demnächst lesen werde.

Journal Entry 4 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005
I started an international BookRay with this book. You can join any time you want, just send me a PM.

BookRay participants:
1. CrazyTabasco (Germany)
2. APSC (Portugal)
3. Guadi (Portugal)
4. -Claudia- (Portugal)
5. Hypsis (Portugal)
6. skoopmanschap (Netherlands)
7. Free release...

Released 14 yrs ago (8/22/2005 UTC) at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

I will send the book to APSC at Monday, the 22. August 2005. Enjoy it...

CU... CT

Journal Entry 6 by APSC on Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Got it!! I was starting to worry... I will start on it ASAP. Thank you CT.

Journal Entry 7 by APSC on Tuesday, October 18, 2005
I'm just finishing it and I've already contacted Guadi. As soon as I'm done I'll send it to her.

04/11: I'll be sending it today to guadi.

Journal Entry 8 by Guadi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Just arrived, safe and sound. Thanx everyone.

Journal Entry 9 by Guadi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Sunday, January 08, 2006
I've just finished. Sorry for the delay.
I loved it.
Thanx everyone. I'll send it as soon as i've -Claudia-'s address.

09/Jan/2006
Segue hoje para a -Claudia-

Journal Entry 10 by -Claudia- on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Received yesterday. Thanks everyone!

Journal Entry 11 by -Claudia- on Tuesday, February 14, 2006
I've already seen the film with Matt Damon as Tom Ripley so I was curious about the book.
I especially enjoyed the way that the charater of Tom was constructed, the way he assumed another personality (the gestures, the form of speaking and even the way of thinking...) I really like it!

Thanks for sharing CrazyTabasco!

Sent today to Hypsyis!

Journal Entry 12 by Hypsis on Monday, February 27, 2006
It arrived in the mail a while ago, but I forgot to make the journal entry. Sorry...

Journal Entry 13 by Hypsis on Saturday, March 25, 2006
I didn't watch the movie, so I wasn't familiar with the story. Maybe that's why I liked this book a lot.
Tom's character was described in a way that you even got to simpatize with him, and suffer with his anxiety, despite of all that he did...
At the end, I was really surprised, I never expected him to get away with his crimes... ups! should have said that this post contained a spoiler ;)

Journal Entry 14 by skoopmanschap from Woudenberg, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, April 10, 2006
this book just arrived here. I think I currently have some 3 ring/raybooks here so it may take some time for me to read it. Thanks for ray-ing

Journal Entry 15 by skoopmanschap from Woudenberg, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, May 17, 2006
As taken from my weblog (http://www.leftontheweb.com/article/233/patricia-highsmith-the-talented-mr-ripley), where I write about most books I read (amongst other things):

Everyone of course knows the movie. Not everyone knows the book. This happens a lot of course. I was in the same situation.

I’ve now read the book. It’s nice. It took me quite a while to get into the book. It seems to start very very slow. But once things start happening, the book is very nice. I ended up really enjoying the book. And eventually, you remember your last impression, not your first impression ;)