The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Original Radio Scripts

by Douglas Adams | Plays & Scripts |
ISBN: 0330419579 Global Overview for this book
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 5/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, May 12, 2005
I have wanted this book for literally years, ever since I first read "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" when I was 14 / in 1987! Received this as a Birthday present from my very lovely sister katethebass. Will read and inwardly digest whilst re-listening to the original radio tapes!

I love all the stuff about his inability to meet deadlines, and his honesty about how difficult writing is... It makes me feel a bit better about how long its taken me to write & finish my masters thesis!

Favourite bit?
This quote is taken from the forewood by Geoffrey Perkins -->
"Douglas is also the only person I know who can write backwards. Four days before one of the Hitch-hiker's recordings he had written only eight pages of script. He assured me he could finish it in time. On the day of the recording, after four days of furious writing, the eight pages had shrunk to six. Some people would think this was a pretty clever trick but I've been with Douglas when he's writing and I know how he does it. When he wants to change anything, a word or a comma, he doesn't just cross it out and carry on; he takes the whole page out of the typewriter and starts all over again from the top. Yes, he is something of a perfectionist but he would also do anything to avoid having to write the next bit. His other favourite way of putting off writing the next bit is to have a bath. When a deadline is really pressing he can have as many as five baths a day. Consequently, the later the script the cleaner he gets. You can't fault him for personal hygiene in a crisis."

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, June 08, 2005
A fantastic book, with footnotes on the special effects and the problems / solutions in recording each episode. A true gem of a book!