A Clockwork Orange

by Anthony Burgess | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jare of Port Richey, Florida USA on 8/24/2005
Journal Entry 1 by jare from Port Richey, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 24, 2005
The movie based on this book is one of my favorites, so it stands to reason that I'm going to enjoy the book.

Cover blurb:

A vicious fifteen-year-old droog is the central character of this 1963 classic. In Anthony Burgess's nightmare vision of the future, where the criminals take over after dark, the story is told by the central character, Alex, who talks in a brutal invented slang that brilliantly renders his and his friends' social pathology. A Clockwork Orange is a frightening fable about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom. And when the state undertakes to reform Alex to "redeem" him, the novel asks, "At what cost?"

This edition includes the controversial last chapter not published in the first edition and Burgess's introduction "A Clockwork Orange Resucked"

Journal Entry 2 by jare at Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
What an awesome book! I had somehow made it through 41 years of life without having read Burgess' classic tale of good and evil! Such a bad malchick am I! Interesting to see the differences in the movie and the book, particularly given the fact that the 21st chapter of the book was not included in the film version due to it not having been printed in the US. I loved the true ending! The ideas he touches on that we all have inherent good and inherent evil ring so true. I'm glad to have spent some time with this book, and will probably read it again in the future! I will, however, set this copy free soon!

Journal Entry 3 by jare at Cypress Point Park in Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (11/4/2014 UTC) at Cypress Point Park in Tampa, Florida USA

Left on a bench overlooking the beach. Enjoy!