The Day of the Triffids

by JOHN WYNDHAM | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by AliceF of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on 5/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by AliceF from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, May 05, 2005
A classic of British science fiction, by the finest proponent of the art since H G Wells. I first read this book as a teenager, and it's stayed with me ever since. If you've ever been impressed by those scenes of a deserted and invaded Britain that you saw in "Dr Who" or "28 Days Later", you'll find in this book their inspiration.

When a freak cosmic event renders most of the Earth’s population blind, Bill Masen is one of the lucky few to retain his sight. The London he walks is crammed with groups of men and women needing help, some ready to prey on those who can still see. But another menace stalks blind and sighted alike. With nobody to stop their spread the Triffids, mobile plants with lethal stingers and carnivorous appetites, seem set to take control. The Day of the Triffids is perhaps the most famous catastrophe novel of the twentieth century and its startling imagery of desolate streets and lurching, lethal plant life retains its power to haunt today.

Journal Entry 2 by AliceF at on Thursday, May 05, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (5/6/2005 UTC) at

Gents' changing room.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, May 20, 2005
Just started reading it but the first chapter certainly captures the imagination, just one of the long list of "classics" i haven't read!

CAUGHT IN WARWICK (UNIVERSITY) MIDLANDS UK

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, May 23, 2005
I was really impressed with this book. I had no idea about the plot such was my state of ignorance but i enjoyed it so much, a great story and one that we can all learn from in this modern age.

Im now releasing this book once more into the wild, quite appropriately in the Fine Art library at the University of Birmingham.

Journal Entry 5 by Mizz-T from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 02, 2005
Caught in the Barber Fine Art Library at the University of Birmingham. Plan to release it in Glastonbury tomorrow.