The Piano Tuner

by Daniel Mason | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Heaven-Ali of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 5/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 04, 2005
I loved this unusual story, evocative and exotic.

FROM BACK OF THE BOOK

On a misty London afternoon in1886, pianp tuner Edgar Drake receves a strange request from the war office: he must leave his wfe and his quiet life in London, to travel to the jungles of Burma to tune a rare Erard grand piano. The piano belongs to Surgeon Major Anthony Carroll, an enigmatic British Officer whose success at making peace in the war torn Shan states is legendary, but whose unorthodox methods have begun to attract suspicion.

Journal Entry 2 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 11, 2005
Bookray starting soon

hetku77(Finland)
cynthiaA (Canada)
momofap (US)
buffra (US)
moraelyn (US)
4-lele (US)
Catsalive (AUS)- it's here - then to release/ -make futher travel arrangements for this book.

This list is not finalised yet and the order may change.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, August 22, 2005
22.8 I received the book today from Heaven-Ali!

CAUGHT IN PIRKKALA PIRKANMAA FINLAND

Journal Entry 4 by winghetku77wing from Nokia, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
27.9 I was the mysterious AnonymousFinder above - too excited when I received the book that I forgot to sign in :). I finished the book over the weekend and I really liked the story - it was all that the back of the book promised. Though the ending left too many questions open, I would have liked to know how did it really go, what was imaginary and what was "real". I will mail the book to CynthiaA later this week.

Journal Entry 5 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 07, 2005
It arrived safe and sound all the way from Finland, thank you very much! Pretty good timing too... considering it crossed an ocean!

I am looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 6 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 27, 2005
What an excuisite story. It was a love story... but was it a love story with a country? Or with a woman? Or with a piano? I could taste and feel and see another place where I have never been... I could smell the orchids and feel the heat and then the rain... I have been on a journey and I'm left with only memories.

The ending... I won't spoil it for others, but a friend once told me that the book was wonderful and the ending was horrible. I disagree. Not all love stories have the happy ending one hopes for. And I choose to believe in Edgar's version of truth.

I am shipping this book off tomorrow to momofap, as 3 PM's to KarenZero were unresponded to. Her bookshelf does say to skip her if she doesn't get back, so I have done so. Perhaps she can get added back on the end...

Journal Entry 7 by momofap from Sheldon, Iowa USA on Wednesday, January 18, 2006
This book arrived in the mail today! I have a finish reading one bookring book and then I will start this one. It does look interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by momofap from Sheldon, Iowa USA on Monday, February 06, 2006
This book got caught in a "Book Jam" at my house, to many bookrings at a time. I have read half of this book and found it really interesting. I will get a copy of this book from my local library and finish reading it. I am passing this copy on to the next person. Thank you for allowing me to try and read it.

Journal Entry 9 by buffra from Columbus, Ohio USA on Thursday, March 09, 2006
It's here! It's here!

Part of a near-toppling tower of TBRs, but I actually have made quite a dent recently, so I'm feeling OK about that.

Journal Entry 10 by moraelyn from Rialto, California USA on Monday, June 19, 2006
It arrived after much anticipation! 1 book to read before this.

Journal Entry 11 by moraelyn from Rialto, California USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2006
I finished this a few days ago, after a bit of struggle in the beginning. I posted in the forum on whether I should finish, because after the first 100 pgs. I still wasn't into it. The comment I found very helpful, and didn't give anything away, was that it is a good contrast to the rest of the book.

I enjoyed the passages about sound, and the piano. Interesting plot, held up well until the end. Good book, but I don't think I'll look for anything else by this author.

Will mail once I get an address.

Journal Entry 12 by 4-lele from Elmhurst, Illinois USA on Monday, January 22, 2007
My fervent apologies ~ I thought I journaled this book when it came - it did come! In the midst of the beginning of a four week Chronic Pain Program. I carried this book with me on my very long days and it was able to take my mind to another place (besides my pain) during my free times and for that I was grateful. It was not quite the book I had hoped it was going to be but it was still a good book and I enjoyed it! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll PM the next person and get it posted!

Journal Entry 13 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Got it, thanks 4-lele.

Journal Entry 14 by catsalive from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 20, 2007
I've given it 75 pages but I still can't raise any interest in Edgar's journey nor his fate, so it's time to move on to pastures greener.

Released 11 yrs ago (8/23/2007 UTC) at Columbus Fort-holders' Swap in On BookObsessed, A swap -- Controlled Releases

Sent to AlterEgoZoe in USA for the CFHS.

Journal Entry 16 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Got today!!

Journal Entry 17 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, January 17, 2008
As catsalive did, I only got part way thru (63 pages to be exact) to be at a point I did not care for the story anymore.

Journal Entry 18 by AlterEgoZoe from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, September 11, 2008
Will be going for a ray.

1.Snapdragongirl (US)
2.mrsboknows (US)
3.hopi100 (US)
4.Anglersnest (UK)
5.Pell (Italy)

Journal Entry 19 by snapdragongirl from Pasadena, Texas USA on Thursday, October 02, 2008
Got the book today in the mail. I have a few tests and a project for school so I won't get around to reading it for 2 or 3 days.

Journal Entry 20 by snapdragongirl at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/7/2008 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I read 217 pages of the 350, but I really don't feel like finishing it. Nothing has really happened yet and I don't want to wait around to see if something does within the last 10 pages. Judging from other people's comments I am not alone in this. So I'm sending it on.

I hope the next person has more luck with it.

Journal Entry 21 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Friday, October 24, 2008
I found it today tucked into the side door that we never use. We've had a different mail carrier the last few weeks. I'm not sure how long it's been sitting in my door. :)

I have two other books to read before this one but I'll try to get to it quickly.

Journal Entry 22 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Sunday, November 02, 2008
Like others before me I had a hard time getting into this book and almost gave up on it. I would read a few pages, get bored and walk away from it. By page 100 I still wasn't into the book but refused to give up. I found the last chapters to be far more interesting than the rest of the book. Can't wait to see the opinions of those that read this after me.

Journal Entry 23 by PalmettoBuckeye at -- By post or by hand --, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/12/2008 UTC) at -- By post or by hand --, South Carolina USA

Off to next in line. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, November 15, 2008
This just arrived in my mail slot today. Thanks so much! I can't wait to get started! :)

Journal Entry 25 by hopi100 from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, January 15, 2009
Forgive me -- I'm catching up on making JEs for books that I've already sent on! :) It's been that sort of month so far ... :)

At any rate, I actually enjoyed this book much more than some of the other readers appeared to. Now, I won't go out and say it's my favorite book ever, nor will I even say that I want to read it again; but I really did enjoy the story and the writing. I'm thankful for the opportunity to have read it!

It went on its way to Anglersnest around the first of the year. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 26 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Arrived this morning. I have one ring in front, so should be next and moving within the month.
Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 27 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, May 09, 2009
Apologies, Apologies! This book has been packaged up and ready to head off to Italia for several weeks. Actually I thought I'd posted it, which just shows how 2009 is panning out! - This will be in the post this week, and should arrive with Pell very soon.