The Day of the Triffids

by JOHN WYNDHAM | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Flambard of Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on 4/30/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Flambard from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 30, 2005
Fantastic! Pacy, well-written, and far better than the film. It was obviously written to appeal to cold-war mentalities, but is remarkably imaginitive and gripping. Loved it!

Journal Entry 2 by Flambard at on Saturday, April 30, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (4/30/2005 UTC) at

On the OBCZ bookshelf

Journal Entry 3 by wingHorshamStarbuckwing from Horsham, West Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 30, 2005
On the OBCZ bookshelf

Journal Entry 4 by LizzyUK from Worthing, West Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2005
Picked this up in the Horsham OBCZ - one that I've wanted to read for a while!

Journal Entry 5 by LizzyUK from Worthing, West Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, July 10, 2005
Thank flambard, another great book! I really did enjoy this one. I've always liked 'post-apocalyptic' stories, and how people survive. It always makes me think about how I would cope if I found myself on my own in a completely changed world. I find it interesting to think about how different people/groups react differently.

I didn't find the triffids that scary though, perhaps because the book was written from the point of a sighted man - the whole situation would have been pretty scary if you couldn't see! It was extremely well written and kept me hooked. I also thought (as far as I can imagine!) that it was pretty realistic, at least in terms of the collapse of society and general decay.

I haven't seen the film, but I can see this being a candidate for an up and coming one soon -a la War of the Worlds.