The Crock of Gold

by James Stephens | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by SecurityBlanket on 4/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by SecurityBlanket on Saturday, April 23, 2005
23 April 2005

From the New York Times: "A wise and beautiful fairy tale for grown-ups - full of sweetness and of whimsicality, of sympathy and tenderness and sly satire, of merriment and of poetry."

This book originally is copyrighted 1912. This edition is from the second printing - 1968.

~acquired for release~

**************************************************

24 May 2006

This was one of the first books that I purchased at the local library sale after joining BookCrossing. Two days ago I received a friendly PM from DEESSE, of France, saying that she bought this book a few years ago only to find after returning from holiday that a great many pages were missing. That's much too long to wait to know how a book ends! "The Crock of Gold" is on its way to you. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, July 10, 2006
Finally it's here! Youpi!
Thanks a lot, SecurityBlanket, for sending this to me - it arrived already on Friday, but as I don't have internet access at home I can only journal it now. I've already started it and I'm enjoying the style a lot! Thank you again!!!

Journal Entry 3 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Monday, July 17, 2006
Finally I know how the story ends!
Well, I enjoyed the book though it wasn't exactly what I'd thought it would be - it was rather a book about philosophy (the "philosopher" being one of the main characters and "philosophing" and discussing rather a lot, e.g. when the policemen walk him to the barracks after arresting him, he talks and talks and talks... until the sergeant is fed up and "orders" one of his policemen to talk - about "normal" things like cats and dogs...).
This is just one example of the many funny passages, e.g. already at the very beginning, when the marriage(s) of the philosopher(s) are described.

I wouldn't call it a real fairy tale and I would have liked more "fantasy elements", but some passages were very funny, moving or "wise" (full of wisdom, worth to think about it for a while):
"A Leprechaun is of more value to the Earth than is a Prime Minister or a stockbroker, because a Leprechaun dances and makes merry, while a Prime Minister knows nothing of these natural virtues - " (p. 121 f.)
"It's easy enough to have brains as they call it, but it is not easy to have a little gaiety or carelessness or childishness (...)" (p. 188)

Or the passage when the Thin Woman teaches her children about the other sex (The girl receives different advice than the boy): "Women should love all other women as themselves, and they should hate all men but one man only, and him they should seek to turn into a woman, because women, by the order of their beings, must be either tyrants or slaves, and it is better they should be tyrants than slaves. (...) For these reasons, and in order that life might not cease, women should seek to turn their husbands into women; then they would be tyrants and their husbands would be slaves, and life would be renewed tor a further period." (Very interesting ideas... ;-) )

"As the Thin Woman proceeded with this lesson it became at last so extremely complicated that she was brought to a stand by the knots, so she decided to resume their journey and disentangle her argument when the weather became cooler." (p. 203/204)

Journal Entry 4 by DEESSE from Erstein, Alsace France on Saturday, April 11, 2009
The book will finally get to travel with DEESSEs Fantasy-Bookbox (my 500th registered "book"!)