Cider House Rules

by John Irving | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0552992046 Global Overview for this book
Registered by zijdewerkster of Den Hoorn, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 4/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by zijdewerkster from Den Hoorn, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, April 22, 2005
Set among the apple orchards of rural Maine, it is a perverse world in which Homer Wells' odyssey begins. As the oldest unadopted offspring at St Cloud's orphanage, he learns about the skills which, one way or another, help young and not-so-young women, from Wilbur Larch, the orphanage's founder, a man of rare compassion with an addiction to ether.

Dr Larch loves all his orphans, especially Homer Wells. It is Homer's story we follow, from his early apprenticeship in the orphanage, to his adult life running a cider-making factory and his strange relationship with the wife of his closest friend.

Journal Entry 2 by zijdewerkster from Den Hoorn, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 09, 2006
This book goes to Owlet :-), it's on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by owlet from Maastricht, Limburg Netherlands on Sunday, October 15, 2006
Wow, thank you so much, zijdewerkster, how very very nice of you to think of me! Hmmm, books are really taking over my house now, I have to read read read and release really quickly now ;-)

I like John Irvings style, am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks again!