The Color Purple

by Alice Walker | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sunshinedreamr on 4/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by sunshinedreamr on Friday, April 22, 2005
From the back of the book:
"This is the story of two sisters - one a missionary in Africa and the other a child wife living in the South - who sustain their loyalty to and trust in each other across time, distance, and silence. Beautifully imagined and deeply compassionate, this classic novel of American literature is rich with passion, pain, inspiration, and an indomitable love of life."

Journal Entry 2 by sunshinedreamr on Friday, June 10, 2005
This was a very touching story. I liked it a lot.

Gave it to my friend Juanet

Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by bookchick88 from Kent, Ohio USA on Sunday, June 12, 2005
I really enjoyed reading this book. It made me cry at a few parts, and laugh at others. I don't think I've read such a good book in a while. I couldn't put it down. That's how great it was! Thanks for sharing this book Jessica! I owe you another book now! LoL. ;-)

The book tells a great deal about how sticking together is important, how you should never give up on dreams, or family. It shows how you should stand up for yourself, and how to survive on your own. The characters give you a sense of being able to relate to them on different levels, and it amazed me at how close I felt to each and every one of them. They have their quirks, but that only makes them all the better.

I will now be turning this book into a bookring. :-D

For those of you who have participated in one of my rings before, you know the rules. But for those of you who haven't, here they are:::

***Upon receiving the book, you must journal it as soon as you can so that no worries arise.
***Please treat the book with love, as if it were your own.
***PM me if any problems arise.
***If the person after you doesn't respond to your PM within two weeks of sending the PM, PM the person after them.
***Journal your feelings about the book after reading it.
***The limit for having this book is 2 months. I decided this is the best posible length of time because I know how busy life can get and how limited the amount of time we have for reading is.

NOW FOR THE FUN STUFF!! :-D
***Pick a character from the book, and when you journal, tell why you picked the character you did, and what you would do different if you were that character.
***Sign the book.
***Leave little notes in the book to surprise the next reader.
***Send a postcard to return home to me. :-)
***Include a bookmark for the next reader.
----Do whatever you want to make this bookring fun; to make the next person laugh or smile. It's up to you as long as the book doesn't get damaged.

This is an international bookring. I will arrange the members according to how they wish to send the book.

Happy reading!

BOOKRING PARTICIPANTS:::

1.mamagoggle(NJ,USA)
2.Suebo(PA,USA)
3.shpriz1(NY,USA)can ship inter.
4.portias(MO,USA)
5.MRJIGGS(MO,USA)can ship inter.
6.whimzykat(TX,USA) can ship inter.
7.aspenmoonlight(TX,USA) US only
8.rooshill(CA,USA)US only
9.bakerwhencan (CA,USA)can ship inter.<---resting here
10.kazeh(UK)
11.Rossella05(UK)UK&Eur. only
12.cambridgelass(UK)UK&Eur. only
13.Navig8r(UK)Eur only,but can do inter.
14.pennina(UK)can ship inter.
15.rarsberry(NZ) New Zealand and Australia only
16.RockDg9(Au)can ship inter.
17.cordelia-anne(GA,USA)
18.RainDrop162004(CT,USA)

Thanks to all who are participating!
Hope you all enjoy the book!

:-D

THIS RING IS NOW CLOSED

Released 13 yrs ago (6/30/2005 UTC) at Post Office swap shelf, 56 Whiting St. in Plainville, Connecticut USA

Sending to the 1st participant in the ring! Enjoy the book! :D

Happy trails my little book!

Journal Entry 5 by mamagoggle from Middlesex, New Jersey USA on Thursday, July 07, 2005
The book has arrived safely and is already being read. Looks like this is going to be a quick book for me to get through. I never knew it was written in the form of letters.

Journal Entry 6 by mamagoggle from Middlesex, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Wow. I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way the story was told via different points of view through letters written by the two sisters. It was interesting to watch the evolution of Celie from an ugly, abused woman with nothing to a woman surrounded by a loving family and friends in a house of her own.

Now the book is packed up and ready to be sent to Suebo tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by Suebo from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Book arrived safe and sound in Philly, PA. Thanks!

I really enjoyed this book. I also loved the movie. It is such a touching book and I think a much read for everyone.

Journal Entry 8 by Suebo at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (8/2/2005 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Brooklyn, New York USA

Sending to shpriz1 as part of a bookring

Journal Entry 9 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Friday, November 25, 2005
Received it today. I guess we can never lose hope with the US Postal Service. :) I wonder where this book went to in the 4 months it was missing? :)

Journal Entry 10 by shpriz1 from Clifton, New Jersey USA on Friday, December 02, 2005
WOW....How in the world did I miss this book when it first came out?? It was awesome. I cried and I laughed, I got angry and I go very sad. I had so many thoughts and emotions running in my head and heart at the same time that I don't even know where to begin.
Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful book.

Journal Entry 11 by shpriz1 at on Friday, December 02, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/2/2005 UTC) at

Off to portias. Enjoy

Journal Entry 12 by portias from Pittsburg, Missouri USA on Friday, December 16, 2005
Received this book as part of a book ring. Didn't want to put it down. I found the comment in the back of the book, "I thank everybody in this book for coming. --A.W., author and medium", most interesting. Would like to read more about how she came to write this book. I will also try to watch the movie to see how true to the book it is. This is a very thought provoking book. Thanks for sharing it. Am now ready to mail it on to the next person.

Journal Entry 13 by portias from Pittsburg, Missouri USA on Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Getting ready to put this in the mail this week to MRJIGGS. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by MRJIGGS from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, December 26, 2005
I went to the Post Office on Christmas Eve, hoping to get a box of books I won on Ebay. Sadly, no box of books...but Hooray! The Color Purple from the BookRing was there! That made my day ;D Looking forward to reading it. I saw the movie many moons ago; so I don't remember a lot from it, and the book will seem new to me. Happy Reading to me =)

Journal Entry 15 by whimzykat from Fredonia, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Oh, boy, something to distract me from my new knitting obsession (a side effect of BookCrossing, no less). Thanks for the goodies, Portia, I'm off to read some of the greatest American Lit of the last century.

I had no idea what this book was about other than Oprah got nominated for an Oscar for her role. I've never seen the film. I read the book in a single day. At first, I cringed over the horrible childhood & early adult years of Celie's life. Then, things start to bloom. Her stepson makes a good choice for a strong wife who forces Celie's husband to treat her better, and then, later, when Suge and Celie both dump him, I say you go girl!

The parts about the sister seemed a bit contrived, but I still enjoyed the story cover to cover.

Journal Entry 16 by aspenmoonlight from Weatherford, Texas USA on Thursday, March 09, 2006
Received today and have already started it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 17 by aspenmoonlight from Weatherford, Texas USA on Saturday, March 18, 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I took it with me on my vacation to Colorado. I especially enjoyed some of the spiritual discussions between Shug and Celie. And of course, the author's note at the end was most intriguing. Thank you so much for sharing! I have PM'ed the next in line and will send as soon as I get the address...

Journal Entry 18 by aspenmoonlight at controlled release in Benbrook, Texas USA on Thursday, May 04, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (5/4/2006 UTC) at controlled release in Benbrook, Texas USA

Finally sent off--sorry for the delay! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 19 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Saturday, May 20, 2006
Well, it looks like I'll be taking the whole 2 months (or close to it) for this book. I just got it along with a couple other rings and I have to leave tomorrow for a week-long training (Certified Interpretive Guide) so won't start reading any of them until after that.
Thanks for the goodies Portia, and thanks for setting up the ring Miss J. (I've missed you BTW - just too busy for the forum lately.)

Journal Entry 20 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Well...I've had some...stuff...happen and I won't be able to read this for now. I'm PMing the next person so I can get it mailed off before it's too late.
Thanks for the opportunity, anyway.

Journal Entry 21 by bakerwhencan from San Francisco, California USA on Friday, June 23, 2006
Arrived today! Thanks!

Journal Entry 22 by bakerwhencan from San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, August 02, 2006
This is the second book I've read of Alice Walker's and her spirit, and ability to capture the desire for love amazes me again. I also appreciate how she addresses the many forms of love through her stories. I enjoyed every character-- even the ones I hated in the beginning. Very very satisfying read!

Thank you for including me in the ring RainDrop162004!
I'll be sending this off to Kazeh soon.

Journal Entry 23 by bakerwhencan from San Francisco, California USA on Friday, August 04, 2006
Mailed off to Kazen in England today!

Journal Entry 24 by kazeh from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 15, 2006
Just let you know book arrived at my house.

Journal Entry 25 by kazeh from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 27, 2007
I really enjoyed this book especially two sisters' wonderfully relationship. I like their attitude and get on with their life. I am glad to read it. Waiting for cambridgelass reply.

Journal Entry 26 by cambridgelass from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 19, 2007

Am so sorry i have had this book for a week and havn't gotten to public pc til now.

It was a fantastic read not what i expected at all. I fell in love with the characters so much and was sad when it ended but what a lovely ending. I won't spoil it for those who havn't read it but a worthwhile read.

I am going to pm the next person on the list now and will let you know when it has been posted.

nobody seems to have signed the book but i trhink i will :)

Ooh also thankyou for the bookmarks i have taken one, also one of the yellow badges.

Journal Entry 27 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 07, 2007
The book arrived last week sometime! I could have sworn I journalled it but apparently not... sorry!

I'm half-way through and about to PM the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 28 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2007
Thank you so much for sending this book - I really enjoyed the read. As I read the first few letters I thought I was going to cry (in public, too) and wondered whether I could carry on. However as the book got going I realised there are some very positive messages: never giving up, focussing on love above all things, and being true to yourself. Celie was a wonderful character, and though I hated Shug to start with I felt like she really came through as a nice person ultimately.

And now, for the confession. I posted this book off this morning and I have just realised after reading the journal entries that I completely forgot to package up the things which came with it (bookmarks, postcards etc). Gah. I'm going to put together another package containing them, and send it on to the next reader so they can put them back to with the book! I'm so sorry about this. That will teach me to mail things off in a hurry :-(

Journal Entry 29 by pennina from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 07, 2007
Arrived today. I've been looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 30 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 07, 2007
Captured!

Journal Entry 31 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 21, 2007
Just finished this today. I quite enjoyed it. Also found it a bit hard to get used to the writing style throughout the book, and the storyline was rather intense. But it waa a good story and I'm glad to have read it.

Posting on to cordelia-anne shortly.

Journal Entry 32 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 28, 2007
Posting this off to cordelia-anne with all the goodies included.

PS - pennina thanks so much for the chocolate! You've got me addicted to 70% now!

Journal Entry 33 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Today this world-travelling book arrived here in Georgia, Alice Walker's home state. I read The Color Purple many years ago but I will be approaching it here with new eyes. I'm sure it will bring back many memories as books from my past often do. I look forward to sharing these with my bookring "mates." Thanks to RockDg9 for the lovely Koala and to everyone else for passing this along so dearly. I've also found the bookmark with the phrase "I'm guarding this page" on page 78 and other lovely treasures enclosed. The postcards, bookcrossing patches and more are so charming. They give meaning to Alice Walker's phrase. "I thank everybody in this book for coming." I'm looking forward to passing these reminders of the book's readers along to dear Raindrop. By the way, today we had some treasured raindrops here in Georgia, an enthusiastically welcomed release from the drought in this part of the country that's cost us many trees and afflicted the Atlanta area with a terrible plague of smoke. There were a couple of blessed downpours. Somehow this makes receiving the book more special for me. I won't be able to read it immediately but I'll certainly pass it back to our gracious bookring hostess before the end of the two months. Best wishes to all who have shared this book with me.

Journal Entry 34 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Dear Fellow Readers and Bookring Mates,

I'm so sorry. I'm embarassed that I've had this book for over a year now. I'll confess that returning to reading Alice Walker was hard for me but because of that I felt I just couldn't refuse the generously given invitation. The themes of the book are so feminist, so much of the 1970s, that I had to stop several times to regather my bearings. I must confess to you that I share many of the feelings of Alice Walker's daughter Rebecca Walker, the "third wave feminist" and author who is now estranged from the writer Alice Walker over the ideals of her generation of feminism, and, more tragically, from her mother Alice Walker for the way she lived out those ideals in their relationship. You can not know how hard it is for me to share these feelings about 70s and 80s feminism with the younger Walker. With Rebecca Walker, I feel hurt by what that past generation of feminism wrought for women, children and men. We now live in a culture in the United States where divorce and serial monogamy are accepted and where illegitmate birth is increasing. These things are disasterous for children, families and for humanity. I know whereof I speak. My family has been fractured by divorce twice over two generations. Feminism in our case played a part. Now motherhood is devalued and women are removed from their children's lives as men have been since the Industrial Revolution. To serve the economy, children are often raised in daycare from babyhood. Many women of my generation, one behind Walker the elder, waited too late to start families. So as a childless woman I have even more bitter feelings toward the feminism to which this book belongs. That said, I'll also admit that I have some gratitude for the movement too. Seventies feminism did open some doors for women, though the doors it closed have resonated more in my own life. For me personally, the movement betrayed all the hopes I had in it. I know that many women would not share my feelings. I accept that. We are too close to the overwhelming changes to make complete judgments. Future generations will have a more coherent viewpoint. From my place in history, I'll say that I feel that the feminism I experienced was too concerned with trying to find a new kind of power for women. Too ofen it neglected and devalued women's traditional power and identity.

Another factor in my tardiness has been the frenetic pace of my life. I've changed jobs, recovered from serious illness and I've lost a dear family member over the past year. Oh, and we've had two family weddings. Still, in my way, I've been true to the bookring in reading Walker all over again and admiring her anew as I've tried to come to terms with The Color Purple and with what the feminism it celebrates has wrought in my life. As the months have passed, I've accumulated gifts for the bookring. Most significantly, I went back and reread Walker's In Search of Our Mother's Gardens, which is a brilliant collection of essays. There is so much within this book that I'd probably be writing all afternoon if I tried to address it here. I loved Walker's appreciation of Florida writer Zora Neale Hurston most of all. There are two essays about Hurston within In Search of Our Mother's Gardens. The most affecting to me was Looking for Zora. In it Walker describes going to Florida to find Hurston's unmarked grave. Calling out to Zora, Walker found what is now recognized as the grave and errected a tombstone. More important, Walker brought Hurston's wonderful books, long out of print then, back to life. Thanks to this bookring, I've been reading them with great enthusiasm. I enclose a copy of Hurston's masterpiece, Their Eyes Watching God, as one of my gifts. Also, Walker's perceptive appreciation of her fellow Middle-Georgia writer Flannery O'Connor is one everyone should read. In Beyond the Peacock: the Reconstruction of Flannery O'Connor, Walker offers a brilliant evaluation of this important Georgia writer. I also appreciated her essays on Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King and the Civil Rights movement. These essays will surely be consulted whenever this patch of 20th Century history is considered in the future. As Walker was thought of most as a poet and journalist before The Color Purple came on the scene, I've enclosed two of her collections of poetry, Once and Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful. I've also enclosed Walker's novel Possessing the Secret of Joy as it is in a way a sequel to The Color Purple and it marked a significant point in my feeling about Walker's work. You can read about this on my bookshelf if you'd like. In Possessing the Secret of Joy, Walker tells the story of Tashi, Celie's African daughter-in-law from The Color Purple.

I've just returned from my native city, Memphis, where my dear uncle died just last week. Noting that The Color Purple follows my own personal geography, back and forth between Georgia and Memphis, I've enclosed two CDs as gifts. Sisters of Soul has the work of Freda Payne, Tina Turner, Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, Wanda Jackson, The Shirelles and The Chiffons. These are all great singers and "girl groups" of Alice Walker's generation. I also enclose the lovely soundtrack CD from the movie Corrina, Corrina, which features the work of Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington and Sarah Vaughan, singers closer to Color Purple Character Shug Avery's generation. While in Memphis, I thought of Tina Turner, who is from a small Tennesee town nearby. Her story is akin to Celie's in The Color Purple in that she struggled with abuse while married to her former husband Ike Turner. Her story of leaving Ike and making a comeback as an artist on her own are in her autobiography, I Tina, which became a movie as well. I enjoyed and admired both. Sorry I couldn't find copies as gifts--but they are out there. Tina's singing of course is the real prize. If you for some weird reason don't know her work Dear Ringmates, please correct the situation NOW.

I've tied everyone else's gifts together with a purple ribbon and all is enclosed with a purple scarf to honor the book and the bookring. I'm sending it all home.

For me, The Color Purple, though it won both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, is not a great novel. I admire the way Walker put it together but I couldn't feel much love within it, though love was often professed and described. I guess, having lived through the 1970s with all of those magazine articles about finding female sexuality, I felt the descriptions of the Celie and Shug's sexuality were workmanlike, too detailed, too reminiscent of the Feminist workbook Our Bodies, Ourselves, which was a good book, but an information manual. And I missed a sense of place. Yes, like Hurston, the highly educated and sophisticated stylist Walker wrote this in dialect but the characters did not seem to speak from their world but from the world of the 1970s. I would have liked more descriptions of Shug's music and of the lyricism and heartbreaking toil of the characters' lives close to the earth. Walker often provides the life of the earth in her poetry and in her non-fiction writing. Still, there were satisfactions in the story, Celie and Nettie's reunion touched me. I'd hoped for it through the book. But the distance between Africa and Georgia seemed a problem for me in the story. I guess, for me, the book encompassed too much. Reading Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God in comparision made The Color Purple less of a novel. Hurston's book, which certainly inspired Walker to write of her own Georgia people, is closer to its story, closer to its people. Walker's, it seemed to me, couldn't break free from her political philosophy. Yet, I know it is a book that's moved millions. I'm glad for it, though the book is offensive to many of the men in my life. I felt that Walker was trying to present Albert sympathectically. He and Celie were both lovers of Shug, the musical spirit of the characters. Still, the men of The Color Purple just didn't seem embodied to me. I felt this as a problem. Men are not the enemy.

Still, RainDrop162004, now bookchick88, thank you for bringing me to this bookring and for all of you for your patience. I wanted to admire the novel. Instead I've admired Alice Walker's great contributions to feminist literature. Finally, all you other patient folk, bookchick will have her great gifts. I love my Koala RockDg9! How did you know that my new sister-in-law, who joined our family in matrimony on 7-7-07 last year is Austrailian. I like pennina's idea of chocolate but Walker's home state Georgia, where I'm here writing at my computer, has temperatures in the 100s! I'm afraid any perishable goodies would melt in the mail. If not, I'd send watermellon and barbecue. Like Walker, I'm a fan of the two. Thanks everyone for your patience with me. I so appreciate being included. You are all great readers!

Blessings to all!

Journal Entry 35 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Now our book is on the way to the post office where it will travel to Ohio. Happy journey to a well-traveled book.

Journal Entry 36 by bookchick88 from Kent, Ohio USA on Sunday, June 15, 2008
Yayyeee!!!

This book has finally come home after two years and I am so glad. Thank you so much
And I hope everyone enjoyed the book.