It Ends With Magic: A Milligan Family Story

by Spike Milligan | Humor |
Registered by laura0141 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/21/2005
Journal Entry 1 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 21, 2005
Found in a box of used books. Intended for a RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, April 25, 2005

I do in fact have a copy of this in my PC, but I do sometimes like to get hold of extra copies for bookcrossing purposes.

I shall probably set up a Bookray for this, and see where it goes ;O)

From the back of the book:

'Bombardier Sparrow took Miss Kettleband's arm; as it was joined to her body he took that along as well. This meeting was to lead to romance'.

With his parents' meeting Spike Milligan starts this sotry of his family's life: a sparkling blend of fact and fiction that is recounted with great poignancy and humour.

Only the names have been changed (to protect the innocent?). Nevertheless, the story of the Sparrows as they adapt to their life in colonial India and the subsequent years in which Spike grew up are lovingly remembered and skilfully depicted. As he himself says, this story is 'written in my own whimsical style, which I inherited from both sides of my family'.

Journal Entry 3 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 26, 2005
This is the order of play so for for this International BookRay.

UrbanSpaceman (UK).

Xanthe-pup (UK).

candy-is-dandy (UK).

Caligula03 (USA).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone else would like to play, please let me know, telling me your BookCrossing name, Location, and Postage Preference (if any).

Journal Entry 4 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, May 5, 2005
This book started its journey today, on the first leg to UrbanSpaceman ;o)

As I said originally, I would love this book to get to India (where Spike Milligan was born), but so far it's only getting as far as America - but there's time ;o)

Journal Entry 5 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 9, 2005
Had this from Spike this morning and will start it as soon as as I finish my current book. Cheers, Chris.

Journal Entry 6 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 15, 2005
I've read other Spike Milligan books that I enjoyed more than this one, I'm afraid. I wanted to to like it but, overall, it was too uneven for my tastes.

The first half, dealing with the story of Leo and Florence Sparrow was very interesting - I wish there had been more of it. The second part, after the return to England, was still readable but the last section, post the the escape from the orphanage, I just found frustrating. I found that I wanted to know what had really happened to the children, rather than the fairy story presented.

Still, I can't say that I wasn't warned. The title says "It Ends With Magic" and so it does!

I'll put this in the post to Caro1 asap.

Journal Entry 7 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Arrived safely today along with another ring and a trade. Aren't I the lucky one! There are three more ring books ahead of this one, but as a fast reader, and with half-term approaching, it shouldn't be a problem.

Journal Entry 8 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 2, 2005
Having finished this book my reaction is almost identical to that of UrbanSpaceman. I enjoyed Book 1 with the story of Leo and Florence Sparrow, how they met and the journey to India. I found this part very entertaining and Milligan's sense of humour is very apparent. Book 2 is very different and like UrbanSpaceman I was frustrated by this and wanted to know what actually happened to the children. Still well worth a read. Thanks for sharing Spike1972.

Journal Entry 9 by Lutrus from Canterbury, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, June 3, 2005
Arrived this morning. Only 1.5 ray books ahead of it so should get to it soon. Great bookmark Caro1.

Journal Entry 10 by Lutrus from Canterbury, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, July 16, 2005
On the whole I enjoyed the book, but as others have said, I would have liked to have known what really happened. Thanks for sharing this with us Spike1972 and sorry for hanging on to it for so long.

It is now on it's way to Catrionamoore.

Journal Entry 11 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 21, 2005
Arrived safely thank you.

Journal Entry 12 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 17, 2005
I'm really not getting on with this book, perhaps it's partially to do with the choatic madness at this end, or the odd place that my head seems to be at recently. Anyway I shan't hold this book up any longer, thank you to Spike and Lutrus.

Journal Entry 13 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2005
In the post today.

Journal Entry 14 by rem_XGD-219596 on Thursday, August 25, 2005
Received today and on my currently rather big pile of ring books, so it may take me a little while...

Journal Entry 15 by rem_XGD-219596 on Sunday, September 18, 2005
Now, this was an unusual read and certainly not as expected. For a start, I didn't expect a children's book, but really that's what we've got here... It took me a while to get into and I nearly put it aside for good. With me, the enjoyment of a book largely depends on the style it's written in, and I wasn't getting on at all with the contrived humour that was piled on at the beginning. Luckily it soon got better with the inserted diary excerpts etc. The story of their life in India evoked a lot of memories of my own life in Hong Kong; even if it was 100 years later there were still a lot of similarities... So I decided to finish the book, and am glad that I did as it very much turned into a fantasy story which in itself is right up my alley. However, I found it a bit frustrating, too, as I couldn't reconcile this with the idea of a family history - now, is it that or is it fiction??? I'm really not sure anymore.