The Birth of Venus

by Sarah Dunant | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by KarinAlyssa on 4/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by KarinAlyssa on Wednesday, April 20, 2005
From Amazon

Sarah Dunant's gorgeous and mesmerizing novel, Birth of Venus, draws readers into a turbulent 15th-century Florence, a time when the lavish city, steeped in years of Medici family luxury, is suddenly besieged by plague, threat of invasion, and the righteous wrath of a fundamentalist monk. Dunant masterfully blends fact and fiction, seamlessly interweaving Florentine history with the coming-of-age story of a spirited 14-year-old girl. As Florence struggles in Savonarola's grip, a serial killer stalks the streets, the French invaders creep closer, and young Alessandra Cecchi must surrender her "childish" dreams and navigate her way into womanhood.

Journal Entry 2 by KarinAlyssa on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
This was the first time I had read a book by Sarah Dunant and it is certainly not the last. I absoluetely love this book! The characters were so real, that Alessandra became a part of my life for some days. Italy is one of my favorite countries and to read so much about its history was amazing because so much are not common knowledge. Everyone knows about the Borgias, but who knew about Savonarola ? Not only did I learn about the era, the writing was flawless as everything else in that book.

Journal Entry 3 by KarinAlyssa at by Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (6/7/2005 UTC) at by Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

sending to Ealisaid. Enjoy !!!

Journal Entry 4 by Ealisaid from Pinehurst, North Carolina USA on Monday, June 13, 2005
Received in the mail this afternoon. Many, many thanks for checking my wish list, KarinAlyssa! I'm looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 5 by Ealisaid from Pinehurst, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
I really enjoyed "The Birth of Venus" and was totally immersed in the story. Dunant does a good job of describing life in 15th century Florence. The setting is so captivating that I was reluctant to put the book aside and stayed awake half the night last night in order to finish reading it.

However, that being said, I do have a few minor quibbles. I felt that the final part of the story was unsatisfying. **********Spoilers********** After spending so much time showing Alessandra's spunky, independent spirit, Dunant has Alessandra end up spending most of her life in a convent. I didn't understand why Alessandra made this choice, particularly when it was open to her previously and she was horrified by the idea. There were many other options for her, and I felt that the rush to a convent was a big let-down. I was also disappointed that Dunant never reveals the name of The Artist. There was, surely, much more to his story than Dunant tells us, but she leaves him an enigmatic, nameless character. I felt sure that Dunant was leading up to something here but then she just leaves us hanging.

As I said though, my complaints are minor and overall I think the story was terrific. Thanks again for sharing, KarinAlyssa!

Journal Entry 6 by Ealisaid from Pinehurst, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, July 06, 2005
I'm placing this book in Judester's "20 Books I Loved" book box.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 28, 2005
Taking out of the bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 19, 2010
What a wonderful story! The historical details were so interesting as well. I highly recommend this book. I am going to pass it on to another bookcrosser to read.

Journal Entry 9 by loveamystery at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/10/2010 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

This book is on its way to LittleSuz. At least, I hope it is, as I cannot find the book anywhere and I have a scrap of paper with your address on it. Here's hoping I packaged it and took it to the post office. It may take a couple of months as I mailed it by surface mail. Enjoy1

Journal Entry 10 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2010
Thank you so much loveamystery!

Honestly, this couldn't have arrived on a better day. I'm supposed to be going to the Amsterdam convention tomorrow morning but with all the flight disruption it's looking less and less likely that I'll make it. Getting this rabck has really made me smile on a very disappointing afternoon.

Journal Entry 11 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 19, 2010
I liked this, but not as much as I liked In the Company of the Courtesan I'm afraid. Alessandra got on my nerves a bit - and particularly so in the final part of the book. It all got very silly.

The history of Savonarola's rise and fall was great though - brought back memories of former mediaeval history classes :-)

Journal Entry 12 by wingLittleSuzwing at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (8/4/2010 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

To be released at meetup.

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.

Journal Entry 13 by silverbirch7 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Tried really, really hard to get into this but, regrettably, just couldn't get engaged with it.

Journal Entry 14 by silverbirch7 at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/7/2010 UTC) at Biblos, Chambers Street in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Released at BX Meetup

Journal Entry 15 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 08, 2010
caught at meetup last night & probably heading for the obcz later this month

Journal Entry 16 by wingCassandra2020wing at Bovril Johnston Cafe OBCZ in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, October 22, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/23/2010 UTC) at Bovril Johnston Cafe OBCZ in Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

releasing to OBCZ

Journal Entry 17 by wingGlencorseCentrewing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 23, 2010
Now available on the Official BookCrossing Zone bookshelf in the Bovril Johnston Cafe on Main Street, Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland.

The OBCZ is on the top shelf in the cafe by the counter, and is clearly labelled.

If you have picked up this book, thank you for visiting the website (and the cafe!). Please take a moment to let us know you have the book, then post your review when you've read it, and pass it on to someone else. If you join, you'll be able to see what's happened to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 18 by wingGlencorseCentrewing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Disappeared from obcz shelf December 2010, presumed travelling :-)