Lost in a Good Book

by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 4/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, April 20, 2005
Bought this from the Oxfam bookshop in Clifton, Bristol. Will read and report back.

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, April 25, 2005
This is an amazing book, and the second in the "Thursday Next" detective series. Consequently, I was a bit confused whilst reading, as I should have read "The Jane Eyre Affair" first. This is a fantastic, funny, confusing read, and I know want to read everything else that Jason Fforde has written! As the write up says, he's a mixture of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Lewis Carrol, 1984, Jules Verne...just amazing.

The plot is far too complicated to explain, so here's the back cover...

"Thursday Next, literary detective and registered Dodo owner begins her married life with the disturbing news that her husband of only one month drowned thirty-eight years ago, and no one but Thursday has any memory of him at all. Someone, somewhere, sometime is responsible. Could it be the ubiquitous Goliath corporation, who will stop at nothing to get their operative Jack SChitt out of 'The Raven' - the poe in which Thursday trapped him? Or are more sinister forces at work in Swindon?

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, January 09, 2006
Just re-read this book again, as part of a New Year Fforde feast! I still think this is my favourite TN book...

Penguin Website
Thursday's hopes for a quiet life with her new husband, Landen, are dashed when a seemingly impossible string of coincidences involving a falling car, a disgruntled Neanderthal, and a mysterious young woman leads to some extremely close brushes with death. Her jumpy ChronoGuard father rescues her just in time, only to reveal to her that the world is destined to become one big, pink blob of Dream Topping in a matter of days unless they can figure out how and why it happens. And just when Thursday discovers that she is pregnant with Landen's child, the Goliath goons eradicate Landen from existence, threatening to make it permanent unless Thursday retrieves her nemesis Jack Schitt from his imprisonment in a copy of "The Raven"—this time without the help of her now retired uncle Mycroft's mad machinery. Thursday's loved ones are disappearing, while her list of enemies appears to be growing steadily.

Luckily, Thursday's fictional colleagues in an internal book-policing squad called Jurisfiction have eagerly anticipated her return to the book world, assigning her to apprentice under the tutelage of one of their greatest agents, the abrasive Miss Havisham of Great Expectations. Thursday discovers that the sudden materialization of Shakespeare's long-lost play Cardenio, which she had been investigating for SpecOps 27, was indeed too good to be true—it has evidently been stolen from the Great Library by a rogue character from the book world. With Miss Havisham and Jurisfiction's help, Thursday must find the perpetrator and return Cardenio to its proper home in the Well of Lost Plots—the home of all unpublished works—before the thief can gain all the power and money that goes with its release in the real world.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, July 19, 2009
Um well it's not actually my book. I'm just borrowing it from a friend. It's just as good as the first one if not better =) I've already read the NCD series by Fforde so yeah, I recognised his style. =)

CAUGHT IN ZURICH SWITZERLAND