The Case of Lena S

by David Bergen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Matty of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 4/19/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Another bookcrosser recommended this book to me so I bought a copy to add to the ever-growing TBR pile.

Journal Entry 2 by Matty from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, February 7, 2007
I loved the fact that this book was set in Winnipeg. When I read about nameless suburban neighbourhoods in books I usually set them in Winnipeg in my mind anyway :) So this was a weird/cool feeling that the characters play tennis at the courts next to my mom's house and they go to the coffee house down the street.

Setting aside, I loved the characters too. So angst ridden!

Journal Entry 3 by day-zee from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Drawn to this one because set in Winnipeg, and because I like Matty's taste in books :)

I'll read it, and most likely keep it to release for gypsysmom's annual Canada Day Release Challenge.

Journal Entry 4 by day-zee from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Hm. I liked this book. I did. But I think I found the Winnipeg references distracting. They seemed a little off handed and just thrown in, and I couldn't help but wonder every time I came across one, whether or not a non-Winnipegger would understand the reference completely.

For example there was one reference about a character "driving down Academy", instead of 'driving down Academy Road', or 'driving down Academy past the cafe's and boutiques'. I find this odd too, because usually I dislike too much detail and instead I was distracted by too little. *shrugs*

I loved the characters, and loved the honest risks that the author took, but wasn't necessarily sold on the style. That said I will not shy away from reading the other Bergen book that I have to see how it is different. If I could have given this book a 6 1/2 rating I would.

Thanks for sharing Matty!

Journal Entry 5 by day-zee at Stephen Juba Park in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Released 14 yrs ago (7/1/2009 UTC) at Stephen Juba Park in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Released this book propped up against a tree in Stephen Juba Park, right where I finished it during my walk home. My last release for gypsysmom's Canada Day Release Challenge to celebrate Canadian literature!

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!