Sputnik Sweetheart (pc)

Registered by tho on 4/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by tho on Wednesday, April 13, 2005
To be read ...

Amazon.co.uk Review:
Haruki Murakami is arguably one of Japan's finest, modern writers and is, increasingly, being seen as one of the top authors working today. The last novel of his to find its way to these shores, Norwegian Wood, was a delightful, if slightly one-dimensional coming-of-age tale. The pyrotechnics of his previous, more surreal novels (Wind Up Bird Chronicle and A Wild Sheep Chase) had disappeared but something of his eccentricity, what made his books such a wonder, had disappeared too. Sputnik Sweetheart is a confident continuation of this more simple style yet one that retains the allegories, the depth of his best work.

The narrator, a teacher, is in love with the beguiling, odd Sumire. As his best friend, she is not adverse to phoning at three or four in the morning to ask a pointless question or share a strange thought. Sumire, though, is in love with a beautiful, older woman, Miu, who does not, can not, return her affections. Longing for Sumire, K (that is all we are told by way of a name) finds some comfort in a purely sexual relationship with the mother of one of his pupils. But the consolation is slight. K is unhappy. Miu and Sumire, now working together, take a business trip to a Greek Island. Something happens, he is not told what, and so K travels to Greece to see what help he can offer.

Themes of love, loss, sexuality, identity and selfhood are all interrogated, woven into a compelling, romantic, serious and sometimes sad book. It is a disarmingly simple, hugely satisfying, intelligent and moving work and one of Murakami's best. Simplicity, sprinkled with a dose of his magic, has enabled Murakami to write candidly, succinctly and beautifully about the complications and difficulties of love and loving.

Journal Entry 2 by tho on Monday, May 02, 2005
Beautifully written, like all of Murakami's works .. but this one is even better than most, I think. Quite a short and simple story, but of course in Murakami's words it turns into something vividly real ...

Journal Entry 3 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 27, 2005
The first book I've read from this author. The book's story is told by a guy who's in love with a girl who falls in love with an older woman... Written in a way that makes compulsive reading.

Journal Entry 4 by Goide from Lisbon, not specified not specified on Saturday, April 01, 2006
This book is very good. No ordinary people here, as usual. First metaphysical book I've read from this author. The story was described in amazon's review that tho cited, though in my opinion the main plot and twists are not those summarized. I will not correct it, as I do not want to ruin the book for those who haven't read it =)

Murakami is a GREAT author. A marvellous writing ability, there's no need or use for grammar/vocabulary knowledge demonstrations in his work. His marks are a simple style, extraordinary story-telling, and most important: characters with Depth. All the important characters in his books are turned into vivid people, not ordinary people though. What I've read by Murakami so far (4 books) has the following common patterns: solitude, love, book-lovers, music, and plain sexuality, without ridiculous metaphors. Advise to everyone: read Norwegian Wood (thanks Malena and Tho).