The Time Traveler's Wife

by Audrey Niffenegger | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lonerunner of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on 4/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2005
tbr

Journal Entry 2 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Love is worth waiting for.

Time is relative.

What's in the past is past.

There are some things we cannot prevent.

We all must work with what we are given.

There are lots of messages singing out in these pages. Clare is married to Henry, a man who literally cannot keep himself in the present and who she meets at first as a child, when he is middle-aged, and then when she's an adult, when Henry is much closer to her age. The story is told from both of their points of view, and of course it jumps around in time, cleverly foreshadowing certain events and revisiting them from a different point of view.

Does Audrey Niffenegger succeed in making the story plausible? At first, I thought that this would be the most important question, but actually, I got so caught up in the story that I was willing to accept the fact that Henry had a genetic condition called Chrono-Displacement Disorder. IF that existed, how would one cope with being suddenly ripped out of the present and thrown into the past or future? In addition to his absences from his present, Henry also faces real dangers when he time travels, since there is no telling where he will be thrown and he always arrives with absolutely no essentials--not even clothing. He learns to live by his wits, something that gets harder and harder. Henry and Clare's relationship is strong, but challenged. So are other aspects of their lives.

I felt sorry for both Clare and Henry throughout the book. Meeting Henry when she's a child affects Clare's entire life, so it seems as if she's always waiting for Henry. It is a creatively poignant love story.

And that's all I'll say, except that I found it to be an intriguing page-turner, and I can certainly see why it's been so popular.