Microserfs

by DOUGLAS COUPLAND | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 4/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, April 10, 2005
Perfect! I was looking for USA/Canadian books to commerate our holiday in the Pacfic NW, and I found this pristine 1st ed in the famous Lionheart book stall in Seattle's Pike Place market. Not only about Redmond, WA's finest, but also a Vancouver-based author, and a fine price too. Sometimes things are just right aren't they??

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 03, 2007
(20/08) Finished while on holiday (camping in Edinburgh)...cold and uncomfortable; the tent not the book :)

I don’t know how much of this novel is true to life and biographical, but Douglas Coupland does have an uncanny, not to say unhealthy, knowledge of the geeks and misfits who inhabit the Microsoft campus and further south in Silicon valley. If you can be bothered to look beyond the trademark Coupland gimmicks of buzzwords & precious ‘in’ jokes, and an introverted first-person ‘stream of consciousness’ style, there is the deeper story about a group of individuals looking for some shape and meaning to their lives. If not original, this coming of age in terms of work-life balance, sexuality, mortality and developing meaningful relationships in an atheistic, post-feminist, post-everything information age, is moving and insightful.