Introducing Semiotics (Introducing... S.)

by Paul Cobley, Litza Jansz | Nonfiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 4/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, April 10, 2005
I picked this up in a great 2nd book shop in Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island on a recent holiday in the Pacfic North West.

Maybe if I read this i'll be able to understand what semioticghost is talking about...some of the time... :)

(8/05) Finished - review to follow

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 11, 2005
Now all I need is the ‘Idiots Guide to Introducing Semiotics’ and it should all make sense! We are told a lot about the key players & practitioners of semiotics (or semiology); and the various movements, groups and theories over the last 150 years. Its quite a new science(?), although there is a suggestion that its roots go back to ancient Greece – well most things of note do!

But, I don’t feel that I ended up with any real understanding of the subject matter. The book concentrates a great deal on language, i.e. the way we name things, for example a tree, linked to what it is, er...a tree...and how we conceptualise it or intepret it, i.e. its ‘treeness’! There’s not much space to explore other formal & informal sign & communication systems, e.g. art, body language, information theory, myth & popular culture etc. A bit dry and confusing for this ‘Bear of Very Little Brain’

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at on Friday, May 13, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (5/14/2005 UTC) at

Pre-release for tomorrow's Ipswich meet-up

Journal Entry 4 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, May 14, 2005
I thought I really ought to jog my memory, and Tony kindly brought this along, so I picked it up :)
I'll make it availaable straight away, so I'll have no excuse to not read it quickly when somebody asks me for it.

Journal Entry 5 by Semioticghost from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 28, 2006
“Introducing Semiotics” (Paul Cobley & Lisa Jansz) aims to provide a taste of the study of signs and the theories that have grown from it in the 20th century. It identifies key theorists from either side of the atlantic and tries, -sometimes unsuccessfully- to explain the simple concepts behind difficult terms. Charles Pierce’s thinking is still over my head, for instance, but I’m just slow on the uptake sometimes. Lacan’s Lectures on Technique may continue to languish unread on my shelf, but maybe I can stop being lazy now. Jansz’s illustrations are plucky and surprising in the often abstract matter they portray.
This one has given me a taste for communication theory, and made me want to pick up Eco again, so all in all, it’s good.

Journal Entry 6 by Gooner from March, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 12, 2006
Picked up at yesterday's meet-up, and started to read it on the train back to March.