Five Hundred Mile Walkies: One Man and a Dog Versus the South-west Peninsular Path

by Mark Wallington | Humor |
Registered by scaree of Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on 4/6/2005
Journal Entry 1 by scaree from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
I first read this book about 7 or 8 years ago, while living in Oxford and actively working as a scout leader. I borrowed it from a fellow leader and sniggered and giggled through the evening, night and into the following morning, until I had finished it.

It is the story of a man and his borrowed dog, Boogie, when walking the coastal path from Minehead to Poole. Having 'always meant to' Mark Wallington graduates into 'actually going and doing' the entire path. This is despite his friends' amusement, his complete lack of equipment and a travelling companion. All of which he borrows (including the very reluctant and Town-minded Boogie).

It is a very sharp insight into one man's slant on the West country, the seaside, dogs, people and camping equipment.

Journal Entry 2 by scaree from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
This book is going out on a ring -

Nice-cup-of-tea
coolboxuk
ermintrude75
Mytilus
Tutley Mutley

and back to me. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by scaree from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, April 07, 2005
Off to Helen!

Journal Entry 4 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Received this today from Scaree, I'm first in the bookring, so I'll try and read this before I leave for teh UK this week, and then bring it with me to post onto the next person!

Journal Entry 5 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, April 16, 2005
Really enjoyed re-reading this book, will add more thoughts on this later on, not when I'm in an internet cafe!

I have sent this today to coolboxuk April 16

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments added 25th April 2005

I so enjoyed re-reading this; it felt like just yesterday that I last read it! Wallington's style of writing is so infectious and good humoured and just generally wonderful.

The dog Boogies (and his flatulence!) rather steal the slow, but the comic act between man and his dog is very entertaining. Like Scaree, I too sniggered and laughed my way through it, to the chargrin of the passenger next to me on my flight from Zurich to London - sorry!

I'd forgotten how long ago this book was written - 1983 - his reports on the Argentinian conflict really jumped out at me. Bizarrely, just re-read Adrian Mole which is from the same period.

Thanks Scaree for this read, much appreciated!

Journal Entry 6 by coolboxuk from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Arrived today - thanks a lot.

Journal Entry 7 by coolboxuk from Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 26, 2005
What a laugh! I could find myself in so many of Mark's faux-pas's - you can tell I'm not a great camper but I love the outdoors... Our dog would do all right, though, hehe. No seriously, this is a wonderful book. Not only as a story of his mishaps and achievements but also the descriptions of the places and people. That's what I like in a good travelogue - the writers describe things from their feelings rather than point of view of "interest", and that's exactly what makes it so much more interesting than a tourist leaflet. What I mean is, having read his tour around Devon and Cornwall I still don't know about most of the tourist attractions there, but I know what it's like to be there. Something I quite fancy - now more so than before I read the book! I guess that makes it a good one...

I've just bought Mark's second book which I came across, just be chance, in a charity shop yesterday. It's called "Pennine Way" and I plan to read it as soon as possible (if I get a break in the rings and rays hitting me at the moment!) and then will put it up for a ray as well. So watch the BCUK space if you want to read more of this stuff!

Now off to ermintrude75 as soon as I get the address...

Journal Entry 8 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, May 07, 2005
Arrived last week while I was away (and ironically in need of reading material!) - thanks scaree and coolboxuk :) Will read and journal again before very long.

Journal Entry 9 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Monday, May 09, 2005
...before very long at all! :)

Needing some light reading after being away on a conference, I wolfed down this book much as its canine hero Boogie would have wolfed down a proffered crisp or biscuit. I just couldn't put it down and at one stage had to force myself to go and cook some tea! I loved the wry self-observation, the little repeated jokes, and the overall sense of an average bloke and an average dog doing a not very average amount of walking but making it sound achievable. It really made me want to do something similar (oh for the time!). Fabulous. Thanks for the chance to read it!

Off to Mytilus very soon...

Journal Entry 10 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, May 14, 2005
This arrived today. I'm halfway through a (medium) book, so hopefully I'll be starting this on Monday.

Cheers!

Journal Entry 11 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
I’ve lived in Plymouth for eight years now, and have extensively explored Devon and, in particular, Cornwall. It was therefore so lovely to follow Wallington’s journey around a coastal path that is very familiar in many areas to me.

I enjoyed the humour and the wry observations, and feel *almost* inspired enough to attempt a similar trek myself!

Thank you for including me in this ring; this little breath of fresh air.

I’ve got TutleyMutley’s address and hope to head to the post office this lunchtime.

Journal Entry 12 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, July 28, 2005
Like Mytilus, I've lived in the South West for many years (off and on - I wuz born down yer), so i was interested to find out what Mark Wallington's take would be - unfortunateley he seems to have encountered dense FOG when he reached my local area!
He made me laugh out loud in many places - and certainly made the hike seem achievable, because he was so remarkably unprepared for self sufficiency - I don't think he'd been studying any Ray Mears stuff, or belonged to the boy scouts.
I suppose he did find out the name of the Sea Pink and the Herring Gull eventually! (and the polywhatsit)
There was one scene straight off the Fast Show - the competitive Dad playing cricket with his son on the beach somewhere near Start Point - did Mark Wallington write sketches for them?
Boogie's metamorphoses from cool city slicker dog to country bumpkin rabbit killer was what made the tale in my book.
In the meantime - thinks must dig out my tent and how much of the Coastal Path could I fit in, on a weekend off?
Thanks for the entertainment, Scaree, and I'll be sending it home to you as soon as...
tutleymutley the ex 'Woodcraft Folk' leader...

Journal Entry 13 by scaree from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Safely received from the intrepid TutleyMutley and returned to my bookshelves.

If anyone would like to read it, I'll be considering a new ring next year.

If you PM me or email me and do not get a reply, please try posting on the
BookcrossingUK Yahoo list. I'm more likely to receive it or be prodded into action.