Newcomer's Guide to the Afterlife: On the Other Side Known Commonly As "The Little Book"

by DANIEL QUINN, Tom Whalen | Other | This book has not been rated.
Registered by biba89 of Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on 4/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Since other books by Daniel Quinn have changed my view on this world and our place in it, I am inclined to read everything he has produced so far.
But, what category is this supposed to fall in? I have no clue whatsoever.
Subtitle for this book is:
"The guide of choice for anyone who plans to die someday" which is exactly what I am planning to do at the end of my life. Although the idea behind this book seems outrageous, I will give it a shot. Reading it, I mean.

Journal Entry 2 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, April 15, 2005
What a strange book. I have no clue what to make of it.

Journal Entry 3 by niana from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, November 19, 2005
Thank you biba, for sharing this strange, strange book with me. I put this on my wishlist with exact the same thought: since Quinn wrote it, I'll probably be interested. But alas... I'm not. Or maybe I am. Somewhere. Not sure yet. (Why is it that Quinn's books always provoke incoherent journal entries?)

This book is a guide for newly deceased. It tells the reader what to expect now he's dead. It describes what going on in afterlife, how does 'it' look like, what are the do's and dont's, who are there and why, and so on. According to he blurb, it can be read as a "parable, an allegory, a work of fiction" or, of course, an actual guidebook. Since I don't believe in an afterlife whatsoever, I'd have to opt for a), b) or c) =)

What Quinn is trying to do here, I think, is to provide a non-religious anser to the old what-happens-when-your-die-question. He wants to show there are other ways to think about these things than the answers that are provided by the various religions.
In Story of B Quinn states Christianity, Islam, Buddism and the like have a fundamental problem: the assumption that mankind is essentially flawed and needs to be saved. But, Quinn says, since gorilla's aren't flawed, and dogs aren't, and neither are dolphins, musquitos or daffodils, why should we think that we are? We are no different than any other living creature.
** to be continued **

Journal Entry 4 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, February 02, 2009
This book is back home.