The Color Purple

by Alice Walker | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0151191530 Global Overview for this book
Registered by dospescados on 4/4/2005
Journal Entry 1 by dospescados on Monday, April 04, 2005
bought at one of the Cazenovia Public Library's annual giant summer booksales, Cazenovia, NY

from the first page:

You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.

Dear God,

I am fourteen years old. I amI have always been a good girl. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me.

Last spring after little Lucious came I heard them fussing. He was pulling on her arm. She say It too soon, Fonso, I ain't well. Finally he leave her alone. A week go by, he pulling on her arm again. She say Naw, I ain't gonna. Can't you see I'm already half-dead, an all of these children.

She went to visit her sister doctor over Macon. Left me to see after the others. He never had a kine word to say to me. Just say You gonna do what your mammy wouldn't. First he put his thing up against my hip and sort of wiggle it around. Then he grab hold me titties. Then he push his thing inside my pussy. When that hurt, I cry. He start to choke me, saying You better shut up and git used to it.

But I don't never get used to it. And now I feels sick every time I be the one to cook. My mama she fuss at me an look at me. She happy, cause he good to her now. But too sick to last long.

copyright 1982, 245 pages, trade paperback (former library book)

Journal Entry 2 by dospescados on Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Since I'm moving at the end of May and won't get a chance to read this before then or any time soon after, it's going on a ring...

Shipping order (subject to change):
wiccania (Denver, CO, USA - US only)
dg7500 (Manheim, PA, USA - US pref.)
randomelement (Hull, MA, USA - int'l)
Fire-Dragon (London, England - Eur. pref.)
wubbaducky (Addlestone, Surrey, England - Eur. pref.)
FiBe (Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, England - Eur. pref.)
giggogg (Derby, England - Eur. pref.) -- asked to be skipped
BettyBoekWurm (Porto, Portugal - Eur. pref., int'l OK)
Sherlockfan (Wellington, New Zealand - int'l) <----------here
THIS BOOK HAS REACHED THE END OF THE RAY! THANKS TO ALL! 2 October 2006

I have no set time period that I ask you to read this in -- I understand there is life beyond Bookcrossing! -- but just be considerate to your fellow ringmates waiting ever so patiently for their turn and keep it moving in a timely fashion. Media/surface mail is fine. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need to be moved farther down the list or removed altogether.

UPDATE 10 June 06 -- I've gotten my hands on another copy of this book so this is now a RAY and will not come home to me.

Journal Entry 3 by wiccania from Mount Laurel, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, May 10, 2006
arrived yesterday and is at the top of my tbr pile.

Journal Entry 4 by wiccania from Mount Laurel, New Jersey USA on Thursday, May 11, 2006
this was a really good read. i'm glad i never saw the movie, now i can rent it and perhaps appreciate it more than i would have.

book will be en route to dg7500 in the next couple of days

Journal Entry 5 by wingdg7500wing from Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, May 18, 2006
Arrived here safely, and I should be able to get started on it by the weekend.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdg7500wing at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 22, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (5/22/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to randomelement. Enjoy!

Shipped via media mail w/ dc.

Journal Entry 7 by randomelement from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, May 25, 2006
This book came in today's mail as part of a book ring that I am taking part in.
I'm looking forward to reading it.

Take Care,
Kecia

Journal Entry 8 by randomelement from Lynn, Massachusetts USA on Monday, June 05, 2006
Hello,

I have mailed this book to Fire-Dragon in the UK. The USPS is estimating a 4-6 week delivery time.

Enjoy the book when it arrives.

Take Care!
Kecia

Journal Entry 9 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, June 09, 2006
4-6 weeks? 3 days is more like it! This arrived in the post yesterday. I am looking forward to reading it but I've had a few rings come in the past week so I might need to use some of that hypothetical postage time and take a little longer with the book. I'll keep it moving as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 21, 2006
What a fabulous book! When writing instructors tell their students to "show, not tell", they should simply point them in the direction of The Color Purple by Alice Walker. It's incredibly evocative of character, setting and emotion yet it is not heavy-handed. Books about injustice often fall into the trap of telling you what to think and feel but Walker never falls into that trap.

It was heartbreaking to read about life as a poor black woman in the early twentieth century and devastating to read about the annihilation of the Olinka - African tribal people displaced by roadbuilding and rubber plantations. Walker doesn't flinch from the truth yet she also shows us great love, compassion, loyalty and happiness.

I found this book very easy to read. I really enjoyed both Celie and Nettie's voice. Often I find that when authors try to write in dialect or show an uneducated grammar and vocabulary it doesn't work very well and distracts me from the story. Even something like Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting worked much better for me as a film than a book and that's probably an example of where it's done better than the norm. But Walker does this effortlessly so that you barely notice but it helps to evoke character.

I love at the end that Walker thanks the characters in her novel "for coming".

This was read as part of my project to read the top 100 books of the 20th century - see my Century of Books blog for more details.

Thank you for sharing - I will PM wubbaducky shortly and get the book moving soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 24, 2006
I thought I had sent this on already so I was a bit horrified to find it during a spot of cleaning, still in the living room under a pile of books. I already have Wubbaducky's address and will send it asap. So sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 12 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, July 28, 2006
Arrived safe and sound this morning - although, true to form, it arrived with another bookring book :) I'd never have thought that books were like buses... ;)

Journal Entry 13 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, August 11, 2006
I enjoyed this book a lot and although its an epitolary-style novel, it's very readable. Not that I have anything against such novels but sometimes I feel they lose a little something in the telling. However, this story was glorious and it was impossible not to grow to like Celie. She was so pathetic in the beginning but developed so wonderfully over the tale. I'm not a big one for happy endings but I loved this one.

Waiting for FiBe's addy

Journal Entry 14 by wubbaducky from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, August 18, 2006
Posting out today to FiBe

Journal Entry 15 by FiBe from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Received a few days ago while I was on holiday. This is next on my TBR pile. Thanks for letting me take part.

Journal Entry 16 by FiBe from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 31, 2006
I think this is one of the few books where I prefer the film to the book! I did enjoy it though. Thanks for letting me take part as I sent my copy of this book out on a bookring without reading it first and it has gone MIA!!

I think Possessing the Secret of Joy is the sequel to this book which I have also read but I preferred The Colour Purple.

I liked the fact that most of the book was in letter form it made if feel more intimate.

giggogg no longer wants to take part in this bookring so I have pm'd the next person on the list and will send on once I have received their address.

Journal Entry 17 by FiBe at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 11, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (9/8/2006 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next person. Thanks again for letting me take part.

Journal Entry 18 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, September 18, 2006
It has arrived and I started reading this morning. So far, I'm really enjoying it! Thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, September 25, 2006
Finished it yesterday morning.

A lovely read. Celie is such an endearing character, and hearing her speak in the first person seems to bring us closer to her. In fact, all the characters seem to become real because we meet them through Celie's eyes. Truly touching. Even though I haven't had much reading time lately, I found myself going through this book in a jiffy.

I'll be sendig it to Sherlockfan later today. Thanks for sharing Dospecados!

Journal Entry 20 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 02, 2006
Thia is a quick-travelling book, arriving today 2 Oct. I'm currently ploughing through a Dean Koontz and not really enjoying it so will be pleased to have this waiting as a spur to finishing the Koontz.

Journal Entry 21 by wingSherlockfanwing from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, October 05, 2006
I so enjoyed this book - books you order in a ring/ray don't always live up to the hopes you had for them but this one certainly did. Must say I can't really see how a film could do justice to the subtleties or the awfulness of some of the expriences. I'll have to try to see it.

It was a very sad book in many ways and kept on having an underlying sadness even though the lives for Celie and Nettie gradually improved; I was sad that these things happened and horrified knowing that some of the behaviour in those families still occurs today.

Once I heard that I was last in the ray I wrote about that in my LJ and Rars requested it so it is now on its way south. The condition of the book wasn't brilliant as clumps of pages had worked loose. I've tried to patch it with "proper" booktape so I hope it will survive to pass through some more NZ readers. Over to you Rars.

Journal Entry 22 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, October 09, 2006
This came in the mail today from Sherlockfan.
I was on a bookring for it, but my name was far down the list.
So when Sherlockfan said she had a copy at the end of a bookray I was most happy to be a part of it.
I have just finished a book today so this will be the next book I read. :o)

Journal Entry 23 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, October 18, 2006
I finished reading this book today.
I enjoyed the stories, lots of different characters.
It didn't take me long to get used to the style of talking, however I did have a bit of a problem with the lack of speach marks. Not knowing when someone is talking or thinking.

Anyway, sadly the book has fallen further apart, reading the book in bed last night, 2/3 of it has fallen out.
I am hoping that I can pass it on to someone else that can repair it further.
Thank you for letting me read this book, I hope to pass it to another BCer so it can continue its journey. :o)

I took this book with me to Christchurch on our long weekend.
Went to a Meetup and put it on the table, someone picked it up so it can continue to travel.

Journal Entry 24 by TheLetterB from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Saturday, October 21, 2006
One of those books I know I should have read and haven't. Might sit on Mt TBR for a while, but I'm going to read it, really I am! ANd I'll see what I can do about repairs...I'm no expert, but I'm sure I can help this book live a little longer.