Atonement : A Novel

by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: B00194W9KU Global Overview for this book
Registered by Jadzia325 of Spanaway, Washington USA on 4/3/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Jadzia325 from Spanaway, Washington USA on Sunday, April 03, 2005
Reserved to fulfill a wish!

Journal Entry 2 by Jadzia325 from Spanaway, Washington USA on Sunday, April 03, 2005
Traveling to fellow BCer!

Journal Entry 3 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Received today...thank you! I'm looking forward to it; I've heard so many good things about this book.

Journal Entry 4 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 16, 2005
Wow...wow. What an amazing book. I had to sit quietly after I finished it and just let it all wash over me. This is the third of Ian McEwan's books that I've read, and even though I thought he was a terrific writer I wasn't prepared for the strength and the power of this one. Difficult to put these sorts of things into words that don't sound stupid or cliched. This is a brilliant novel about love, hate, loss, guilt, ignorance, wisdom, and...well, atonement. Loved it, loved it. Thanks so much, Jadzia325. This book has rejuvenated me in many ways.

It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.

Journal Entry 5 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 06, 2006
Mailed to perryfran on Jan 3rd - winner of my Christmas RABCK draw!

Journal Entry 6 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, January 12, 2006
Received today from Geishabird. Thanks - looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 7 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Very absorbing novel set in England from 1935 through WWII and up until the narrators old age in 1999. I was engulfed in this story of a young girl's misinterpretation of events that led to severe consequences for her sister and her sister's lover. I would highly recommend this.

If you have read and enjoyed "Atonement", I would also recommend one of the best books that I read last year -- "Dark Angel" by Sally Beauman. This book was also set in England and various locations in America and Europe and has a similar story-line about an unsolved mystery that happened to the main character when she was young. Excellent book!

Since I received Atonement as a RABCK, I will be sending it to another bookcrosser as a RABCK later this week.

Released 13 yrs ago (2/11/2006 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

RABCK to pinklady60 in San Diego, CA. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Received in the mail today. After reading the previous journal entries, I am very anxious to get started on this one. Thank you, perryfran!

Journal Entry 10 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, June 14, 2006
This tragic story kept me on the edge of my seat. The main characters were fully developed, so much so that I felt I had known them for years.

An American Library Association Notable Book.
Winner of National Book Critics Circle Award and WH Smith Literary Award.
On the list of 1001 books to read before you die.

Released 12 yrs ago (1/4/2007 UTC) at media mail in By mail, Traded with another Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On its way to cinnycat as part of a trade she requested.

Journal Entry 12 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Tuesday, January 16, 2007
thanks so much for sending this to me! I really appreciate it. I will write another journal entry as soon as I'm finished reading.

Journal Entry 13 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Sunday, March 09, 2008
The only thing is... I wished I had read this before the trailers for the movie had ever started playing. I think I would have enjoyed the book more that way. I guess envisioning Kiera Knightly as the main character annoyed me. I like James McAvoy though.. he makes a nice goat boy (Chronicles of Narnia. haha). Overall a nice novel..the ending is sad!

Journal Entry 14 by BookBirds at ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 31, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/31/2008 UTC) at ***, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

thanks again for the trade! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by pashmack from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Monday, November 17, 2008
Arrived safe and sound in today's mail. I've been avoiding the movie, wanting to read the book first. Thanks so much for the trade.

Journal Entry 16 by pashmack from Lake Worth, Florida USA on Saturday, October 24, 2009
Wow - what an excellent read, so absorbing and beautifully written. There is not much I can add to what previous readers have written above - I totally agree with everyone. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I now look forward to reading his other books. (And now I can finally rent the movie!) Thanks for sharing, cinnycat.

10/26/09 - Sending off to BCer likestoreadinFL.

Journal Entry 17 by likestoreadinFL from Fort Pierce, Florida USA on Sunday, November 08, 2009
thanks, pashmack! looking forward to reading this well-travelled book.

Journal Entry 18 by likestoreadinFL from Fort Pierce, Florida USA on Monday, May 24, 2010
Wow - I actually read this awhile ago, but didn't realize I neglected to make a journal entry. I thought this book was very good - though provoking, if a bit "meta." And I'm a sucker for a sad story.

Journal Entry 19 by likestoreadinFL at Pineapple Jack's Bistro in Jensen Beach, Florida USA on Sunday, June 28, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/28/2015 UTC) at Pineapple Jack's Bistro in Jensen Beach, Florida USA

Left on bench outside.

Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me know that the book has been found, and what you thought of it, if you read it. You can remain anonymous, or you can become a Bookcrossing member and join in on the fun! If you do join, please use me, likestoreadinFL, as your referring member. It's free use, and they keep your email private (NO SPAMMING - YAY!). Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. Happy reading!