The Sinner

by Tess Gerritsen | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by katie1980 of Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on 4/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by katie1980 from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 02, 2005
"'I don't think I'd like your job, Dr Isles. Why do you choose it? Why the dead over the living?'

'Because they deserve attention. They want us to know why they died.'

Within the walls of a cloistered convent, a scene of unspeakable carnage is discovered. On the snow lie two nuns, one dead, one critically injured - victims of a seemingly motiveless, brutally savage attack.

As medical examiner Maura Isles' autopsy of the murder victim yields a shocking surprise, the case takes a sudden and disturbing twist. The body of another woman has been found. And someone has gone to a lot of trouble to remove her face, hands and feet.

As long buried secrets are revealed so Dr Isles and homicide detective Jane Rizzoli find themselves part of an investigation that leads to an awful, dawning realisation of the killer's identity..."

(Bought at Tesco for £3.73, April 2005)

Journal Entry 2 by katie1980 at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 31, 2013
This is an amazing book. I loved the introduction of Maura's ex-husband, the personal circumstances of the nun were so sad, and the whole story was well-rounded and throught through. The story-arc with Jane was incredibly well-written, and it reminded me (not that I needed it) why I enjoy books by Tess Gerritsen so much.

I liked this passage, when Jane is talking to a little girl who goes to the Convent with her mother while her mother works:
"'He asked me to let him in, because they needed to speak to Sister Ursula. But it's against the rules, and I told him so. If a sister breaks the rules, she gets kicked out. My mommy says the sisters don't have anywhere else to go, so they never break the rules, because they're afraid to go outside.' Noni paused. Looked up and said with a note of pride: 'But I go outside all the time.'
That's because you're not afraid of anything, thought Rizzoli. You're fearless.
Noni began to tramp a line in the snow, her little pink boots marching with a soldier's precision. She cut one trough, then did an about-face and marched back, stamping out a parallel line. She thinks she's invincible, thought Rizzoli. But she's so small and vulnerable. Just a speck of a girl in a puffed-up jacket.
"

I'm going to hang onto this book for now, as I think it merits a re-read when I have time. It is a very powerful book with powerful messages and I would like to read it again before I release it, even though I have many books to read.