Starter for Ten

by David Nicholls | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by niccijl of Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by niccijl from Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 02, 2005
It's 1985 and Brian Jackson has arrived at university with a burning ambition - to make it onto TV's foremost general knowledge quiz. But no sooner has he embarked on "The Challenge" than he finds himself falling hopelessly in love with his teammate, the beautiful and charismatic would-be actress Alice Harbinson.

When Alice fail to fall for his slightly over-eager charms, Brian comes up with a foolproof plan to capture her heart once and for all. He's going to win the game, at any cost, because - after all - everyone knows that what a woman really wants from a man is a comprehensive grasp of general knowledge.

I loved this book. It was a very funny, very well written nostalgic trip back to the 80s. Brian can be quite irritating at times as he just seems oblivious to how he's being treated, but he still managed to make me laugh out loud.

Am going to offer this as an international bookray. Usual bookray rules please. Please journal on receipt of the book and again once it's been read. Please pass on within one month, any problems please pm me and the person after you.

Enjoy!

Participants

Zenita - Den (EU pref)
Tournesol73 - Fra (EU)
nice-cup-of-tea - Swiz (int)
Sarana - Neth (EU)
Falmouth - Ger (int)- current home

Journal Entry 2 by niccijl at on Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (4/20/2005 UTC) at

Mailed to Zenita to start a bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by Zenita from København K - City, København Amt Denmark on Monday, April 25, 2005
Arrived today.
I'll get to this one as soon as I am finished with the book I am readng now.

Journal Entry 4 by Zenita from København K - City, København Amt Denmark on Thursday, May 05, 2005
Had a bit of trouble following the dialog a few times and didn't laugh out loud at any point (maybe I just didn't get the British humor), but all in all a good book.

Journal Entry 5 by Zenita from København K - City, København Amt Denmark on Tuesday, May 10, 2005
On its way to France.

Journal Entry 6 by BC0807232647 on Saturday, May 14, 2005
Arrived yesterday. No other bookring on its way right now so I'll start reading it today!

Journal Entry 7 by BC0807232647 on Friday, May 20, 2005
Good book! I enjoyed reading it and laughed quite a few times.
Will send it to nice-cup-of-tea as soon as a get her address.

Journal Entry 8 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Just received this bookring in the post today - thanks Tournesol73! I'm currently reading a book, but will get onto this and pass on asap!

Journal Entry 9 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, June 02, 2005
I absolutely loved this book! Brian reminded me of a slightly older and more intelligent Adrian Mole, with a little bit of Nick Hornby thrown in...

The whole book sent me spiralling back to my own time at University. I think David Nicholls captures the whole fear / angst / loneliness / terror and pleasure (in that order) of being a student. The chapter where he sets his room up his hilarious! The montage of photos / posters / postcards was so true. I did it myself, and even have a photo somewhere of my first room in hall and the montage on the wall!!

Brilliantly and compassionately written. He also captures the sense of excitement of studying and reading. Favourite quote?
p.11
"Most of all I want to read books; books thick as a brick, leather-bound books with incredibly thin paper and those purple ribbons to mark where you left off; cheap, dusty, second-hand books of collected verse, incredibly expensive, imported books of incomprehensible essays from foreign universities."

Journal Entry 10 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, June 02, 2005
posted to sarana June 2 2005, B Post

Journal Entry 11 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Thanks for sending it, nice-cup-of-tea, Starter for Ten arrived here today. The envelop was in bad condition, but the book was fine fortunately... I'm looking forward to reading it, with a nice cup of your tea ofcourse :)

Journal Entry 12 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 03, 2005
Starter for Ten was a great read. Hilarious (I couldn't stop snorting or laughing out loud while reading it) and very very recognizable, even embarrassingly so at times. I can just hope that every reader has that experience...

The book reminded me a bit of Bridget Jones' Diary. It was probably in the way the main character overanalyzed his love life (and lack there of), and the terrible drunken moods, completely failed witty remarks, and almost painful clumsiness...
Although those clumsy actions almost made me scream to the pages sometimes ("No, Brian! Don't say that!"), the book was mostly a very funny experience. It even gave me a few "insights". Here are some quotes that struck a chord:

Generally speaking, I resolve to change my life on average maybe thirty to forty times a week, usually at about two a.m., drunk, or early the next morning, hungover, but this one is a big one, I'm going to live life well from now on.

"Independence"is the luxury of all those people who are too confident, and busy, and popular, and attractive to be just plain old "lonely".

The next (and so far last) reader, Falmouth, PM-ed me that she's on holiday till July 11th, and asked me to hold on to the book until then, so I'll send it to her next week. Thanks for the ray, niccijl!

Journal Entry 13 by sarana from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 22, 2005
Falmouth is back from her holiday, so the book is travelling to Germany now.

Journal Entry 14 by Falmouth from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, July 26, 2005
The book arrived today. Will start on it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to reading it since everybody seems to have enjoyed it very much.
...
Brilliant! Touching, amusing --- soooo funny!
I could hardly put it aside and wanted it to go on and on!
Since this has been a bookray, I suppose it's up to me now to decide what to do with it. I will pass it around among my non-BC-friends first, and then I probably will offer it for a bookring. Like to keep this one - at least for a while -, as I sure will read it again after some months.
Thanks for sharing such a delightful novel!

Journal Entry 15 by Falmouth from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, October 11, 2006
The book has been on a long journey among my non-bookcrossing friends. They all loved it! Now it's back with me and I'm offering it up as a new bookring.

List of participants:
Tammysavala
MoJeDenUK
Mallary
back to
Falmouth

The book is on its way to tammysavala Oct. 23rd, 2006

Journal Entry 16 by Falmouth from Remscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 06, 2007
The book was sent to tammysavala who - according to lots of forum posts and according to Trekwoman's research - keeps asking for rings, rays and boxes without ever journalling them, without ever forwarding them and without ever answering PM's.
I will try to find a replacement copy for this book or - otherwise - find somebody elses ring to include the remaining participants of this ring.

Journal Entry 17 by lostbookisland on Wednesday, February 07, 2007
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.