I Capture the Castle

by Dodie Smith | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bookfrogster of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 4/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 01, 2005
I found this book a little disappointing. I think I'd heard so many people say that they loved it, that I expected to as well. It's not that the writing was poor, it just wasn't my kind of thing. Oh well, can't win them all.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCassandra2020wing from Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 14, 2005
caught at meet up ,thank you

After a slow start, really enjoyed reading this.

Journal Entry 3 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2005
I caught this at the Edinburgh meet up last night. It was great to meet everyone and it was an extra bonus to pick up this book. I've been wanting to read this one for a while!

EDIT: This is being passed onto another Bookcrossing when I've finished reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 07, 2005
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed the innocence shown by Cassandra. I was quite surprised when the book revealed she was 17/18. The ending is rather open ended as well which I quite enjoyed :-)

This is off to another Bookcrosser who requested it.

EDIT: The above Bookcrosser has asked to be skipped on this occasion so the book is going onto my available shelf.

Journal Entry 5 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 10, 2005
OK, this is being sent to nice-cup-of-tea as part of a trade. I would like to note she is not the Bookcrossing mentioned in the above entry :-D

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, November 17, 2005
Received from the lovely Drusillamac today, thanks Laura! Hope you get "Fahrenheit 451" soon!

Trade:
Fahrenheit 451: Ray Bradbury <--> I Capture the Castle: Dodie Smith (with Druisillamac)

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, November 20, 2005
a wonderful read (and some really interesting introductory notes!). I thought the structure of the three journals worked really well, and Cassandra had a really refreshing 'voice.' I loved the humour of the book, especially the thought of locking the father in the dundgeon to make him start writing. I think I need that sometimes!

Favourite quote:
" "You're the type of child who might develop a passion for Bach." I told him I hadn't at school. The one Bach piece I learnt made me feel I was being repeatedly hit on the head with a teaspoon."