An Artist of the Floating World

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 057114716x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Navig8r of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 29, 2005
A fantastic read. I am a fan of Ishiguro's, but he isn't to everyone's taste. Perhaps because I studied 'The Remains of the Day' in school I really appreciate the subtlety of his writing. This book is of the same style as The Remains, but set in Japan. The reminiscences of a retired artist lead to a story of rising Japanese Militarism and how he tried to stand strong in the face of much repression. Cut to the modern day, and the number one concern is the marriage 'negotiations' of his daughter, and how his career might have affected these.

In terms of the characters, the old man Ono is superbly drawn. Most of all he is rounded: at once proud of what he did, yet not wanting to seem proud, partly for political reasons and partly because I think he's somewhat self-centred. I got the impression Ishiguro was trying to make us see a slightly inflated sense of self-importance in his narrator.

The writing is extremely subtle, well-crafted and delicate. If you liked Remains, you'll like this. But if you're looking for action-packed thrillers, well, I'd give it a miss.

Journal Entry 2 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 14, 2005
BOOKRING shipping order:

RockDg9 (Australia)
Nell-Lu (UK)
tagesmann (UK)
...and back to me.

ALL INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING SHOULD BE AIRMAIL AS AGREED IN THE RING'S INITIAL RULES. I'm sorry to sound militant about this but it really speeds things up and I would like this book back sooner rather than later.

Book sent out 15th August 05.

Journal Entry 3 by fio-dagua from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, August 22, 2005
arrived today =)
i'm reading it right away 'cause i want toooooooo ;)
thanks

Journal Entry 4 by fio-dagua from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, November 14, 2005
waiting for the address to end it on

Journal Entry 5 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Tuesday, February 14, 2006
I got the book! I PMd my address to Fio-Dagua a couple of weeks ago, and here it is! Yay! Thanks, Navig8r, this looks great. will get in touch with joanthro right away.

Journal Entry 6 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Monday, February 20, 2006
I'm not sure that I get the subtleties of his relationships to his daughters. Other than that, I thought it was poetic - the concerns of his past in relation to his daughter's 'chances' were head-on.

Am sending out this week - today is a USPS holiday, drat!

thank you!!

Journal Entry 7 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
And it's off again! Sent this today to joanthro in Colorado. Pretty close to LA, so maybe by the weekend?

USPS tracking number: 0305 2200 0000 0982 3055
Status: Acceptance

Your item was accepted at 2:06 pm on February 22, 2006 in PALOS VERDES PENINSULA, CA 90274. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Thanks again for the ring!

Journal Entry 8 by Joanthro from Denver, Colorado USA on Saturday, February 25, 2006
This book arrived in today's mail - I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 9 by Joanthro from Denver, Colorado USA on Saturday, April 01, 2006
This is a wonderful and well-written book. I was completely engrossed in the life that Ono recalled and wondered how he was going to emerge from his memories of the actions of his youth in pre-war Japan. Viewing that time and place in history through the eyes of a patriotic artist was incredibly powerful and raised intriguing issues about the place of art and artists in politics. Thanks Navig8r for making this book available!

Mailed to buffra earlier today.

Journal Entry 10 by buffra from Columbus, Ohio USA on Monday, April 10, 2006
I like Ishiguro also. And I recently had to pass on a few (unread!) because I was buried with work and personal stuff, plus a reading slump. That seems to have broken -- so I'm really looking forward to this!

Journal Entry 11 by buffra from Columbus, Ohio USA on Friday, July 07, 2006
Sent off. Sorry it took so long. I've been in and out of town a lot.

Mailed (airmail) yesterday....if not in the batch before that.

Journal Entry 12 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 24, 2006
Received while I was on holidays. Thanks - will start straight away :)

Journal Entry 13 by hunnyb from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Found this book really compelling. The narration was very convincing, with Ono going off on tangents just as real people do... but still managing to reveal the story in a cogent way. It's definitely very subtle though and I'll probably find myself thinking about it over time and figuring out new things about it. Thanks for sharing this Navig8r - I've PMd RockDg9 for an address.

Journal Entry 14 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 31, 2006
Arrived today - I signed up for this bookring before I'd read The Remains of the Day by this author, which I have now read in the meantime and I didn't really enjoy it, but I'll see how I go with this.

Journal Entry 15 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 06, 2006
I enjoyed this much more than The Remains of the Day - the story moved along at a much faster pace I think. However, the repetitiveness of the writing style was a bit irritating at times.

Now PMing Nell-Lu.

Journal Entry 16 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Posted Air Mail today.

Journal Entry 17 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Wow, good quick airmail - thanks RockDg9! Thanks also to Navig8r for starting the ring. I'm in the middle of another ring book (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) so will get onto this one later in the week.

Journal Entry 18 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2006
Interesting and subtle, this is classic Ishiguru. The narrator's unreliable memories and sense of self-importance make it very hard to be sure what happened in the past, or what effect his past career has on others' opinion of him. Was he ambitious but misguided or ambitious but unsuccessful?

I'll take this to the Post Office tomorrow - enjoy, tagesmann.

Journal Entry 19 by tagesmann on Thursday, August 24, 2006
I've changed my name. I used to be d-o-m.

Arrived yesterday, forgot to log.

Journal Entry 20 by tagesmann on Monday, September 25, 2006
Thoroughly enjoyable and very moving. The more I read of Ishiguro the more of a fan I become. This is probably the best I have read so far. Thanks for the ring…

Journal Entry 21 by Navig8r from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 17, 2006
The book has arrived back home safely! Thank you to all participants for prompt journalling, reading and mailing. I am glad that people enjoyed the book and it shall now reside in my permanent collection.

A special thank you to Tagesmann for the cool Book Towel!