Der Kontrabaß

by Patrick Süskind | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 3/28/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, March 28, 2005
Bought this ages ago, so I need to re-read this before I can comment!

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, March 30, 2005
I should really comment in German - but am not up to it today!

This is funny, pathetic (in the true sense of the word) little book. It's a monologue from a professional double bass player who plays in the City Orchester (we never find out which city!)

He sits at home, in his acustic room (triple glazed) and talks of many things - his love and hatred for his bass, his playing, the orchestra, the repetoire for double basses, his love for Sarah the mezzo-soprano...There are some memorable images. At times he feels as though his bass has a 'presence' in the fact, and it puts him off making love, so he hides it in the bath, but still it looms!

I'm not sure whether this would appeal to non-musicians. I'm not even sure if this has a resonance unless you're a musician of an instrument low down the pecking order of an orchestera...(I was a viola player, but sister plays the double bass) ...but I love this book! Can't wait to read it in English as well.