The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales

by Oliver Sacks | Health, Mind & Body |
Registered by Greyflank of Brick, New Jersey USA on 3/21/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Greyflank from Brick, New Jersey USA on Monday, March 21, 2005
Once upon a time, I aspired to be in a book like this. Turns out I wasn't crazy, tho. Sadly, it seems the world is exactly in the shape I think it is...

Journal Entry 2 by Greyflank from Brick, New Jersey USA on Sunday, April 24, 2005
I really used to enjoy these types of essays and I still might, when I come upon them once in a blue moon. Reading several back to back seems to have sucked out the joy of coming across them. I gave up about halfway thru.

Journal Entry 3 by Greyflank at on Sunday, April 24, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (4/25/2005 UTC) at

Thanks to the magic of bookrelay.com, this book is avoiding the very damp fate of a wild release today! :-D Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkayotewing from Champaign, Illinois USA on Thursday, April 28, 2005
It's here! This book was strongly reccommended by a former roommate. I have another book by the same author which I haven't read yet either. I'll take your advice and try not to read it all at once in one sitting.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkayotewing from Champaign, Illinois USA on Sunday, May 15, 2005
I don't have this read yet, but the same former roommate who reccommeded it has requested to borrow this and And Anthropologist on Mars to use in a class he's teaching this summer. I don't know what class, and I'm hoping I get them back, but wanted to update the travels. Since I can't seem to get him to journal. :P

Journal Entry 6 by wingkayotewing from Champaign, Illinois USA on Monday, October 22, 2007
Well, I found a non-Bookcrossing copy and switched it with said roommate so this one could get another journal entry.

And...excitement, excitement, I actually read it! It took me a long time to get through it (though not as long as to get to it), but it was really interesting.

For being just a collection of case studies, it was fascinating. So many strange ways the mind works--or doesn't. And what he looks at has, at least he believes, a physical underpinning. He's not a psychologist.

The author is a good writer. He keeps it straightforward and brief, but still manages to convey the personal, the humanness, of his patients. And illustrate the problem with a neurology that doesn't include the human aspect in its theories.

There were notes of pain and sadness, mixed in with notes of hope and humor (both appear with the gentleman who walked tilted).

I see why this came so highly recommended. And it's going on my shelf until I find another non-bookcrossing copy. I want to have it around, but I will also want to give it to someone eventually, because it's good and it's fascinating. So this copy will stay on my shelf until another appears.

Journal Entry 7 by wingkayotewing at Champaign, Illinois USA on Sunday, July 29, 2018
After moving, I decided I HAD to start letting go of books (and a lot of other things. So many boxes. So very many boxes). So I'm releasing a bunch that were on my keeper shelf.

My neighbors were having a garage sale, so I put out a "free" box and put this in. It was gone when I brought the box in.

Enjoy!