Lolita

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by beaulivre of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 3/14/2005
Journal Entry 1 by beaulivre from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 14, 2005
I loved this novel! The language is amazing. Nabokov plays with words and sounds and it is so sensual and poetic. It's both funny and tragic. Humbert Humbert is one of those characters who does terrible things but is incredibly attractive. And Lolita, Dolores Haze, herself is so memorable. The opening paragraph always makes me gasp:

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.
Lo-lee-ta: the tip of my tongue taking a trip of three steps
down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

It's wonderful.

20th March 2005 - I've promised this one to hatter and will pass it on to her later this week.

Journal Entry 2 by hatter from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, March 31, 2005
Thanks for passing this one on to me beaulivre. I've been meaning to read it for ages, I have a long list of 'classics' that everyone but me has read!

Will let you know how I go with it.

Journal Entry 3 by hatter from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, April 18, 2005
beaulivre you're right, the language is beautiful, but I had trouble reconciling that with some of the content. No matter how poetic you make it, an old guy lusting after, and raping, a little girl is still just that. I get why this book is so good, but most of the time it just made me feel uncomfortable or sad.

It was strangely comforting when towards the end of the book the narrator admits to having 'broken' something in Lolita (I can't find the reference, but it's something like that). He writes of depriving her of her childhood, and acknowledges what it did to her. That somehow made it easier to read. Not alright, but it meant the book wasn't taking the line 'she seduced me', though he says that earlier in the book. At that earlier point I wanted to yell at the narrator and tell him it's never ok. A child is vulnerable, and it's his responsibility as an adult to look after her and act properly, not take advantage of her.

As you can see, I had trouble separating reality from my fiction.

Journal Entry 4 by hatter at David Jones, Rundle Mall in Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (8/2/2005 UTC) at David Jones, Rundle Mall in Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Somewhere down there, I haven't decided yet.