The Nanny Diaries: A Novel

by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by synergy of San Antonio, Texas USA on 3/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by synergy from San Antonio, Texas USA on Sunday, March 13, 2005
I got this book in a booklot I bought through eBay. I may or may not read it. Either way it'll get released sooner or later.

Journal Entry 2 by synergy from San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, October 06, 2007
2007 Book #9 - The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus

From the back of the book:
Who wouldn't want this job? Struggling to graduate from NYU and afford her microscopic studio apartment, Nanny takes a position caring for the only son of the wealthy X family. She rapidly learns the insane amount of juggling involved to ensure that a Park Avenue wife, who doesn't work, cook, clean, or raise her own child, has a smooth day.

When the Xs' marriage begins to disintegrate, Nanny ends up involved way beyond the bounds of human decency or good taste. Her tenure with the X family becomes a nearly impossible mission to maintain the mental health of their four-year-old, her own integrity, and, most important, her sense of humor. Over nine tense months, Mrs. X and Nanny perform the age-old dance of decorum and power as they test the limits of modern-day servitude.

Earlier in the year I saw that this book had been made into a movie and it sounded kind of fun, so I decided to read the book first before the movie came out. I do that. I happened to have gotten this copy from a bookbox I bought off eBay and it was one of the books I hadn't given away (the rest being A LOT of chick-lit). A friend of mine who is way too active and athletic to "suffer" sitting long to read a book had read it and liked it, so I thought it must be good.

It wasn't bad. It was a quick and fun read, which I'd expected and what I'd wanted to read after a couple of long and heavy books. The use of "family X" and "Mrs. X" and only referring to the first person as Nanny was an annoying amateur writer thing, but ignorable. I sort of sympathized with Nanny in that Mrs. X was a total airhead? selfish nut?, but on the other hand, she was kind of taking the job to almost study a breed of people, almost as a social science project. When I think of that, I have less sympathy for her allowing herself to be treated like a welcome mat. She was an upper middle class kid "slumming" it with the rich folks.

The one I really felt sorry for was the boy, Grayer. It's a cliché of "poor little rich boy" but at least at this stage, I would really feel sorry for a small child to be treated like a prop or Play Doh to be molded into the perfect little boy (again, to at some point serve as a prop) like this one is treated. If many of the rich are regularly treated like this and then they grow up into the greedy bastards many rich people appear to become, maybe the world would be a better place if more people cared for them and gave them lots of hugs as much as Nanny wished she could do for Grayer.

Not bad for a "fun" read to pass the time. Whether it should've been made into a movie is a different question. I ended up not watching it afterall since it seemed to get so many middling to bad reviews. Oh well.