The Enchantment of Lily Dahl: A Novel

by Siri Hustvedt | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by GorgeousGlo on 3/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by GorgeousGlo on Sunday, March 13, 2005
I like realism like the best of them, but when I got to page 8 and read about gobs of yellow mucus, I threw the book aside. Too much reality for my weak stomach. I went to Amazon’s website and read some of the critiques, all very positive. Then I wondered if I should give the book a second chance. I picked it up and got a second dose of reality, this time having to do with tampon insertion. Argh! This time I planned to take the book along with other castoffs to the thrift store. Before that happened, though, and because life is full of serendipity, I stumbled upon a commentary on this novel in some magazine. The critic was very compelling in his praise, so I gave in and picked up the book for the third time (besides, I hate not to finish what I start).

It seems that after those very eschatological moments, Siri Hustvedt got it all out of her and continued in a pretty clean route towards the development of her novel. I have to admit that I liked it a little bit. I think she does a very good job portraying the state of mind of a young woman who is smart but aware of her educational shortcomings. The relationship between Lily and her old neighbor Mabel is crafted in a very smart way, because little by little, and way before the end, the reader can see the interdependence that these two women develop. I was very satisfied with the ending, which was a relief after so much of the novel was spent in a dark path of anguish. I was not so interested in the “mystery” that went along most of the book, but rather Lily’s thoughts and ultimately, her ‘enchantment’.

After all, I was happy I finished the book, and you should too.

Journal Entry 2 by GorgeousGlo at Rubicon on Capitol Ave in Sacramento, California USA on Sunday, March 12, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/12/2006 UTC) at Rubicon on Capitol Ave in Sacramento, California USA

In the women's bathroom

Journal Entry 3 by mars46 from Sacramento, California USA on Wednesday, April 12, 2006
I found the book on top of the paper towel holder in the Rubicon Brewing Company, Sacramento. At first I thought thatt someone had left it, then I read the label. Now that I've read it I'm going to return it to where I found it so someone else can enjoy it!