The Singing Gorilla: Understanding Animal Intelligence

by George Page | Science |
Registered by biba89 of Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on 3/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, March 10, 2005
I bought this book at a sale in Southhampton in 2003 and then forgot all about it while it was sitting quietly at the bookshelf in my office.
It is too interesting and well-written to be ignored.
"Animal intelligence is a subject which has long occupied scientists. Pavlov's famous experiments 'proved'that dogs negotiate the world purely on instinct because they salivate automatically at the ring of a bell associated with food. What Pavlov omitted to note was that humans will do the same. So where, if anywhere, does the difference lie?"

Journal Entry 2 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, March 16, 2005
A highly interesting read, looking at the scientific world and their usually antropocentric appraoch towards animals and animal intelligence.
This approach generally has the aim to avoid the following question: if animals are intelligent, if they have feelings, how can we justify using them the way we are?

Journal Entry 3 by biba89 at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, November 03, 2010
Released at the office of the Jane Goodall Institute, a year or so ago.