Great Plains

by Ian Frazier | History |
Registered by jennannej of Coronado, California USA on 3/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Saturday, March 05, 2005
Appears to be a used university text.

Race to two million.

Journal Entry 2 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
An interesting look at the land and the history of the land I call home. It was a bit of a hodge-podge of all kinds of things--travel, personal impressions, history, current events. Not much to do with the current PEOPLE living here, but almost everything else.

I'd kind of like to keep this book in my private collection, but I can't really see myself re-reading it very often, so I'd like to share this book with others.

I really enjoyed this book. One of my favorite bits (pgs.14-15):
"A driver coming down this road gets the most dramatic first glimpse of the Great Plains I've ever seen. For some miles, pine trees and foothills are all around; then, suddently, there is nothing across the road but sky, and a sign says HILL (TRUCKS GEAR DOWN), and you come over a little rise, and the horizon jumps a hundred miles away in an instant. My friend's jaw--her whole face, really--fell, and she said, "I had no idea!"....Through the million bearded spikes the wind made an "s" sound bigger than we could hear....The sky was 360 degrees of clouds, a gift assortment of mares' tails and cumulus and cirrus, with an occasional dark storm cloud resting on a silvery-gray pedestal of rain. We could see the shadows of the clouds sliding along beneath them far into the distance. I said that when early travellers on the plains came through a big herd of buffalo, they could watch the human scent move through it on the wind, frightening animals eight and ten miles away....
...That night, my friend said on a gas-station pay phone, "I'm on the Great Plains! It's amazing here! The sky is like a person yawned and never stopped!""

Journal Entry 3 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
On it's way to Trekwoman. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 4 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Monday, February 27, 2006
Ach- this looks terrific! Will be calling to me from Mt. TBR often, I know this.

"Pssssssssssssst! Read me next! Pick me, pick me!"

I glanced over the first page and am already laughing. Thank you for sending.

Journal Entry 5 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Tuesday, February 28, 2006
I get the feeling Ian Frazier is one helluva party guest. All the folks on hand would huddle around him, listening to his stories.

This book, while not what I'd imagined it would be, was still a good read. I can't imagine living in a place with little to no trees across the landscape.

I got out my iron and a piece of waxed paper to remove all the "USED TEXT" price labels stuck to it. How I loathe those! Most of the pages are warpy due to a brown liquid the student (non-BCer) owner spilled on it, but it's still readable.

Released 15 yrs ago (3/1/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings --, Illinois USA

Sending this one along to my good friend Jp in New Hampshire.

Entry for the "Keep Them Moving" release challenge-

Journal Entry 7 by jpar3 from Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, March 12, 2006
looking forward to this book - my grampa was born in the plains - northwest iowa territory, 1874. and this will be good resource for understanding their homesteading adventures out there. thanks, trekkie!